Why Pattern 1 for I Chords

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Why Pattern 1 for I Chords

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Leon Grizzard
    Participant

Richie –

A few questions; maybe the same answer for each one.

Why do you use Pattern 1 for the I chords? (At least through Module 6 where I am.) Is there a pedagogical reason; you find particular advantages for the student in using Pattern 1, as opposed Pattern 2, which covers about the same territory?

Is Pattern 1 sort of your go-to or default position for I chords? I mean, I know you play all over the fretboard, but if you going to learn a new standard, is that where you tend to start off?

Richie
      Keymaster

To answer your initial question, there is no particular advantage in using Pattern 1 instead of Pattern 2 which overlaps with it, except for the available “3” on the 1st string.

Pattern 1 is being used (as explained in Module 1), because for the most part in this course we are learning to improvise using the Pattern 1 fingering model. In module 8 we are introduced to fingering module 4 in which the I chord is assigned to pattern 4 and all the other chords gravitate around it when staying in position. Module 9 introduces the concept of shifting between fingering models, a subject which will be explored at depth in the 2nd volume of this series. In a nutshell there are 7 quadrants throughout the fretboard which enable you to play over an entire tonality without moving out of position. However, the ultimate goal is to freely shift in and out of these 7 territories or fingering models on the fretboard, whenever we improvise.

Pattern 1 is not necessarily my default when playing anything. I can use any of the 7 patterns to start a phrase on a I chord depending on the range I want to cover, where I might find myself on the fretboard at the moment, and many other circumstances that vary. In spite of this, as a teacher I have to start somewhere and I prefer to start in order with the first fingering model in the heptatonic system, which happens to be based around pattern 1.

For a detailed explanation of fingering models and why we start studying fingerings using pattern 1, please review all the videos in Module 1 explaining the Heptatonic fingering System. In addition this week a new video called “Finger Stretches when playing Heptatonic Scales”, will be added at the end of module 1. This video goes into even more depth regarding questions like yours!

Mark Rhodes
        Participant

Is this Leon Grizzard from Austin, Texas??? I love your Western Swing videos on YouTube!

Leon Grizzard
          Participant

Hey, Mark. Yes, that is me. Making another run at learning some stuff I’ve skimmed over or kind of learned but did not retain or apply in the past. This is a wonderful jazz course for western swing or country, or uptown blues players.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.