Upper Extensions In Dorian

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Upper Extensions In Dorian

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Bendall
    Participant

Hi there watching the vid on template 13 slightly ahead of time I must admit. I notice that you say the upper extensions available for dorian are 9 and 11. However my understanding of UE is that it must not reside a minor ninth above a chord tone. Does this not mean that the 13th (6th) qualifies as a dorian UE being that it is a whole tone (major ninth) above the 5th. Or is it because it forms a tri tone with the third? which I quite like the sound of albeit sounds like the related dominant chord to me. Thanks Chris

Richie
      Keymaster

Correct, the dorian doesn’t use the 13 when it forms part of a II-V cadence because of the tritone it forms with the 3rd. The problem is that when you play the “13” over the Dorian over the IIminor, you are playing the same note that shortly will sound as the “3” in the V7. So, the dorian looses its character and starts sounding like the dominant which defeats its purpose.

However, please note that the 13 is with the dorian when it is not used over a IImin chord. Usually it is in the context of modal tunes such as “So What” and “Impressions”. Here you will hear the 13 used because it is not followed by a dominant. As a matter of fact Miles used to love to sit on it when playing modal…

Christopher Bendall
        Participant

Many thanks at least my ears are not betraying me! I found that the major 13th/6th was the tone that kind of defined the mode as being dorian. Loving the BGIS site by the way great stuff.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.