Toying with the Rhythm in Calisthenics 3A

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics Toying with the Rhythm in Calisthenics 3A

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nick Ketter
    Participant

Hi Richie,
      I’m working on the 3A calisthenics and while playing swing 8th notes, I’m finding that my ear starts to not ‘hear’ them as approaches to the target chord tone, but rather as a continuous melodic line.

I’ve been toying with the rhythm a bit, playing the UA as a triplet and landing on the target chord tone as an eighth note. I’ve notated this in the attached image on the 1st calisthenic in 3A, using pattern #1 on the I chord.

Any concerns with modifying the rhythm of these in this way? I find it helps my ear keep track of which of the notes are actually the UA.

Thanks as always!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Nick Ketter.
      Attachments:
      You must be logged in to view attached files.
      Richie
      Keymaster

They are supposed to sound as a continuous melodic line! Make sure you are reading the summary with the intervallic script only. If you are reading just the regular notation/tab and playing it too fast you will not be thinking intervalically and you will be missing the point of the exercise. That is,to learn the application of the approaches within the arpeggios using different fingerings. Also by playing them slower but steady, your ear should be better aware of the approaches when they resolve.

The varying of rhythms is reserved for their use within the musical contexts which follow, such as the opus etudes and most important of all, the Rhythm Templates.

Nick Ketter
        Participant

Ah, interesting. Yes, I’m playing from the intervalic script and saying the intervals (1, 3, 5, b7, etc) as I play them. I’ll keep pressing on.

Thanks!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.