That one fret stretch; Ring to Pinky – F Mixo First Position

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Heptatonic Fingering Patterns That one fret stretch; Ring to Pinky – F Mixo First Position

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    HellhoundsOnMe
    Participant

Hello. After using many courses I am very excited about this one. I have been playing for 8 years and have found my first obstacle with course.

The obstacle is that when playing F Mixolydian in the first position, I found out that my fingering is different from Rich’s. On string 6, I go 1-3-5 (first finger, second finger, and then fourth finger). Rich goes 1, 3, 4 – stretching between his ring finger and his pinky.

My question is, is it imperative that I adopt his fingering? With practice, I can make that little stretch/jump but I cannot finger both frets at the same time in that position.

Thanks!!

Richie
      Keymaster

Hi John,

The ring to pinky finger stretch is difficult in the beginning and is by no means imperative. For the longest time, I used my index, middle and pinky over a 5 fret stretch. This works fine. However after learning why some guitarists I admire used the ring instead of middle finger in what we are calling Pattern 1, I started practicing and eventually developed the new habit.

The main reason is that we want to be as consistent as possible with the fingers that correspond to each chord tone, both when playing the scale and the arpeggio derived from it. This will become more evident when we start doing the Bebop calisthenics and need different fingers to apply different kinds of approach tones, a concept we will cover throughout the lessons. For instance, if we are playing Pat 1 Mixolydian in F, it is easier to learn to use the ring finger on the 3rd fret consistently on any string within said pattern. Aside from it being a matter of consistency, the use of the ring finger at least in the arpeggio, helps outline the open E major chord shape associated with Pattern 1 as in the CAGED system. That said, if it is too difficult, either don’t use it in the lower region where the frets are farther apart, or I suggest that you just use your ring finger when playing the arpeggio…

HellhoundsOnMe
        Participant

Many thanks. I hope you are well and happy because your course has been bringing me some happiness.

Richie
          Keymaster

Thanks John!!!

HellhoundsOnMe
            Participant

I have been careful to do everything the way you have the course laid out. After watching your videos in Module One, I see I could have gotten the answer I needed there in the videos on how to practice the fingerings. I defer to your experience and am now working on copying all fingerings exactly as you have prescribed. I have found that if I raise the neck of the guitar, and flatten out my hand, I can execute the fingering between the ring finger and the pinky with a slight jump. Maybe this thread will help future students. No further reply is needed from you, Sir.

HellhoundsOnMe
              Participant

For anyone who reads this thread, I have been practicing that one-fret stretch at the encouragement of Mr. Zellon and I am now comfortable with it, at least at low-to-moderate speeds. Playing near the nut of the guitar, the frets are wider and that gives my pinky some issues. I broke it years ago so it is slight limited; but, practice seems to have imparted just enough of a stretch that I can execute the fingering as prescribed. Onward!

Richie
                Keymaster

Great!!
                  Off the subjected, I was just wondering…HellhoundsOnMe…was that inspired by Robert Johnson? 🙂

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by Richie.
                  HellhoundsOnMe
                  Participant

Ha! Ha! The answer is “yes.” It is probably an outgrowth of my views on life. When I heard the title of that song, it just stuck with me. I am actually, a very positive fellow, but I feel like disaster is always right around the corner if I let my guard down – and the Hellhounds will have their way with me. So I am always trying to stay a step ahead. I know. It’s kind of silly. Happy holidays to you and yours, sir!

Mark Rhodes
                    Participant

Richie, I’m glad you addressed this because I just started the course yesterday and had the very same question! (When I learned some 3-notes-per-string scale fingerings years ago, I played them with index, middle finger, and pinky.)

Reading your answer here, I’m going to break the old habit and finger things the way you suggest.

Jazzy Beatle
                      Participant

“The First Lady of Bass“ Carol Kaye is a big advocate of healthy left hand fingering technique and promotes the “Thumb Pivot Technique” for both guitar and bass. Just pretend that the thumb is on a hinge and acts as an anchor point on the back of the neck. You can pivot the hand back (toward the headstock) or forward (toward the body) and then use the appropriate finger to fret the note you need. Here’s an exercise CK (or her teacher to be exact) recommended:

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=168440386566810&story_fbid=242209989213624

LastChanceSaloon
                        Participant

Hello all, I have just joined up and had a good look around, and like those above in this thread I have difficulty in the stretch of ring to pinky 3 to 5. I can only do it by shifting my first finger out of first position. I have come from the Jimmy Bruno method where his 5 shapes are all very contained and I am just not used to these stretches. I can manage it with middle to pinky. The arpeggio presents no problem. I understand Richie’s answer regarding consistency of fingering and the benefits later on, but I am worried that my hands are too set in their ways. I have been playing for very many years and I wonder if it is too late to start learning such a different approach. I guess I have month to find out.
                          Ian

Richie
                          Keymaster

Ian, the ring to pinky stretch is not something that will happen naturally in a months time for most, especially between frets 3 to 5. Even I tend to lift my index slightly in that region to make that stretch! That said, it is not a prerequisite to benefit from what this course has to offer. It is just my first choice for those that can do it, simply because it is consistent with the fingering for the arpeggio. That said, if you find that it is not something you want to spend time retraining your fingers to do, that’s understandable. I used my middle finger in place of my ring for almost 15 years before I switched…

Whatever you do, please be sure not to throw out the baby with the bathwater!

LastChanceSaloon
                            Participant

Thanks Richie
                              I have been spending some time working on patterns 1 and 4 but starting on the 8th fret. Here that stretch is possible. I guess I need to spend a week gradually moving down the neck. I will persevere in order to get the best from the course.
                              Ian

Steven Reese
                              Participant

Hey I’m interested to know from the Bruno guys, there were arpeggios in each of those shapes…Did you try to transfer over those shape and arps into this method?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.