Superlocrian Fingering pattern 5

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Heptatonic Fingering Patterns Superlocrian Fingering pattern 5

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mdhakr
    Participant

Richie, the above seems to be stepping out of position 10 and entering positions 11 for the 1st and 2nd strings instead of stretching down. Is this not a composite pattern?

Richie
      Keymaster

Sorry, I don’t know what you are referring to when you say the “above” as there is no attachment or graphic posted.

Richie
        Keymaster

Ok…it just registered:) You are referring to Pat 5 in the Scale & Arpeggios book.

No, it is not a composite fingering because it is not “officially” entering 11th position. Remember that unlike other scales in pat. 5, this scale starts with the ring finger on the root on str. 5. Due to its intervallic configuration, in some patterns this scale requires that we shift forward a half step in order to comfortably be able to play the scale. This is called a temporary “extension”. I talk about this on p.16 of the book. Although I mention the principle of shifting “back” a position to reach a note, shifting “forward” falls under the same principle. (I should add that in for the next edition.) Also, if you play the arpeggio only, you will notice that this shift does not occur and yet covers about the full range of the pattern.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.