Super Locrian fingerings… I and IV

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Heptatonic Fingering Patterns Super Locrian fingerings… I and IV

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Samuel M Harris III
    Participant

I posted the following under misc. but it should have been here, sorry:
      One of the outstanding aspects and attractions to your system is the consistency of fingerings…i.e.using the same fingers for arms and scales, and moving from one mode (or “scale”) to another involves leaving the framework in place, but just altering notes as needed (miso to dorian, e.g.).

However when moving to Super Locrian there are two major change in patterns I and IV that trouble me: (1.) The arp fingering varies from the scale, and (2.) the 1st and the 3rd are no longer on the same string. I realize that having a b2 and a #2 between 1 and 3 creates a 4-notes-on-one-string situation but as it doesn’t exceed the 5-fret span, but that doesn’t bother me.

I find staying consistent with the placement of 1 and 3 on the same string preferable to your alterations. I find my mental picture of note location is adversely effected when using the “new” fingering paradigm when using fingerings I and IV as written.

Am I leaving the reservation to my detriment? Comments please…

Richie
      Keymaster

Most guitarists, myself included, find the 4 note per string configuration very awkward. However, you can do as you please, although I would not recommend this to any students who are doing one on one lessons with me. I believe it would create a series of problems in certain fingering situations which they would have to figure out for themselves and they might not always come up with a proper solution. Furthermore all the exercises and etudes featured throughout the rest of the entire course are demonstrated using the prescribed fingering.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.