So, I'm confused…

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Heptatonic Fingering Patterns So, I'm confused…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    James
    Participant

Richie,

I’ve just started the course and watched the Module 1 videos right through the instruction to work on Mixo Fingering Patterns 1, 4, & 5. Ok, so I’ve started on that, getting them under my fingers. But I don’t see any instruction as to what next to do with them (practice them going around the horn in 4ths, or transition from pattern 1 to 4 to 5, or just keep drilling them as static exercise and not use them yet at all?)

So, I figured maybe the next video would give such directio but I see that the next lesson starts a whole new subject of voice leading, making no mention of using these fingering patterns, nor of going on to tackle 3 more fingering patterns. It just seems that the whole subject has been dropped. I’m feeling disoriented as to what path I’m on here… Please help me out!

Thanks.

Richie
      Keymaster

Hi James,

After you learn the 3 fingerings (video # 10), the following 2 videos (#11 & 12) share important information you must first learn in order to do the 1st exercise using the 3 fingerings. This is introduced in video# 13 (Arpeggio & Guide Tone Resolution Exercises). Have you had a chance to download the Assignment PDF for Module 1?

Please keep in mind that after introducing a new scale/fingering, the following video many times will be on a theoretical subject in preparation for the next practical step we are going to take to use said new scale. That is because this course is a combination of technique, theory, ear training and other aspects necessary to master jazz improvisation on the guitar.

Even though, everyone is at a different level, most students need time to learn the new fingerings in order to successfully be able to complete the Arpeggio & Guide Tone Resolution Exercises. The mastery of the fingerings is not only at the technical level. This is the easy part for many! It is important to be able to pinpoint the location of all the chord tones individually within each fingering. This is what takes time for most and is crucial before we can truly understand how to use them, outside of just intuitively playing by ear. That said, Module 2 introduces the bebop calisthenics and jazz etudes, and is very intense in its use of these scales/arpeggios!

Some players start this course and are already advanced enough that they master or already have mastery of the material covered in Module 1. If this is the case, I encourage them to email me and request that they be moved to the “Full Access” level. This simply allows the more advanced players to move at their desired pace and find their ideal place to start in the course, without having to wait 30 days for the upcoming module to be available. Please feel free to exercise this option if you feel it is your case!

James
        Participant

Thank you, Richie, for your very helpful and thorough reply. I’m especially glad you asked me if I had had a chance yet to download the Module 1 Assignment PDF. That was a big part of my problem: I hadn’t SEEN the link to that PDF so I missed it entirely. Now that I’ve found it and read it, it all makes a lot more sense to me and I’m clear on what I need to work on with the 3 patterns. Thanks for pointing that out and sorry for any inconvenience! – James

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.