So I started working on Jazz Etudes Opus 1

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Jazz Etudes So I started working on Jazz Etudes Opus 1

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    guitarplayer007
    Participant

And I find myself memorizing it fairly quickly. I also know we are supposed to try and just look at the intervallic srcipt, but its hard with the notes right under them….What do you suggest, maybe writing out the IS on my own?
      ken

Richie
      Keymaster

I recommend taking a marker and crossing out the tab after you’ve examined it to make sure you are using the proper fingering, that is only if needed. This way when you learn it you will force yourself to think in the given intervals. The next step is to play it in different keys. I recommend learning and playing all the etudes in C (Pattern 1 in 8th position).

It is okay to memorize the etude. This is unavoidable if you have to repeat it several times.This is actually good as it will program new vocabulary in your subconscious. However, this is only practical if you understand what is going on in terms of the location of all the intervals and awareness of where and what approaches are taking place. This will enable you down the road to apply the concepts in different contexts when improvising. Remember, this will not happen overnight, but only after properly programming different variations of each concept through the calisthenics and etudes. How to achieve this is the final goal of this course.

guitarplayer007
        Participant

Last night I actually wrote out Opus 1 on a separate piece of paper using the just the intervals and tried playing it in the key of F, but in different positions going up the neck. I really like the fact that I can already look at the intervals and play it without the notes, be it at a slow pace at first. But I can see how this is a great way to look at music!!!!
          Thx
          ken

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.