Same note along 2nd and 3rd string : how to choose the right fingering ?

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Heptatonic Fingering Patterns Same note along 2nd and 3rd string : how to choose the right fingering ?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    IN MO KOO
    Participant

Hello Richie!

I recently started my journey with Bebop Guitar Improv series and working my way around the heptatonic fingering system. While learning the Heptatonic scale fingering diagram for Mixolydian mode that you’ve provided, I got to wonder about positioning of certain notes.

In the diagram for pattern 1 Mixolydian, 1st position, to play 5th degree(C note) the diagram suggest to play the 1st fret on 2nd string, rather than play the 5th fret on 3rd string. Same goes in pattern 4 Mixolydian, 8th position. Rather than the 12th fret on 3rd string, it suggests to play the 8th fret on 2nd string. To sum up, it seems to me that when two fingering choices are possible on 2nd or 3rd string for a same note, the diagram prefers to play on second string. Is there a reason for this preference?

Thanks in advance!

• This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by IN MO KOO.
      • This topic was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by IN MO KOO.
      Richie
      Keymaster

Welcome to the BGIS!
        The reason is because it is much more efficient to play the arpeggio using those degrees on the 2nd string when using those fingerings. It’ll also help you visualize the underlying chord better. However, you can still use the alternate fingering when playing scales. Keep in mind that you will always have those 2 alternative options for any scale when it comes to the 2nd and 3rd strings. Ultimately, you need to be flexible and decide what’s best for whatever you’re playing at the moment.

Hope this answers your question!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.