Rhythm Template question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    guitarplayer007
    Participant

When we complete these are we supposed to practice them or is it strictly for learning the grammer and rhythm?
      Thx
      ken

Richie
      Keymaster

You are definitely supposed to play them, but make sure they are correct. You don’t want to practice and reinforce something that is wrong.

On the other hand when you play these and they are correct, you become better aware of what you are doing and why. You also are able to pick up on melodic concepts that you like and want to start applying elsewhere. You, as well, develop a sense of aesthetics and will by the same token spot passages that you don’t like as much. This is where you have to re-examine that measure or measures and see if you can rewrite them with a more pleasing melodic solution. The imposed restrictions are meant to force you to think and find different avenues of getting from point a to point b , so that your mind will start to develop these skills subconsciously for when it comes time to improvise in real time. That said, for this to occur you must work out several of these exercises ,and by all means play them so you can hear what you are doing. When I say play them,once you know they are correct, BE SURE TO PRACTICE THEM UNTIL YOU CAN PLAY THEM AT A MODERATE STEADY TEMPO WITHOUT HESITATION. Otherwise they will not be effective in helping you acquire the skills they are meant to do.

Feel free to send me copies of your finished templates and I’ll check them real quick and point out any errors or make suggestions. Remember, this service is included in the Platinum level.
        You can either scan your hand written template or take a photo with your cellphone and email it to me. Just don’t compress it or shrink it so that when I receive it, I can zoom in and read your writing.

guitarplayer007
        Participant

Thanks Richie, I’ll have to try and take a picture and send it that way.
          ken

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.