Question on counting

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Rhythm Lab Question on counting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    guitarplayer007
    Participant

If we are counting the swing 8th notes as a triplet with the first 2 notes tied together…How do we tap our foot to this, on the 2nd tied note do we leave our foot down then upbeat on the final note of the triplet? or do we still move our foot up on the “and” and down on the “a “?
      thx
      ken

Richie
      Keymaster

I recommend keeping the foot down for “1 and” / up for “a”. I will have an addendum at the end of the Rhythm Lab1 video uploaded no later than Monday, where you can watch me play swing 8ths and see how my pick mimics my foot on the downbeats and upbeats.

guitarplayer007
        Participant

Thanks Richie, I really appreciate it!!!!
          I really want to get good already, tried many online sites, so far yours seem the set up the most logical way!!!
          ken

Mark Bauer
          Participant

I took a few drum lessons about a year ago…a great idea for the non-percussionist, aspiring jazz musician by the way. My teacher counted “1-trip-let 2-trip-let, etc….” Therefore, with my foot, I “lift on -let”. Also, I reserve “and-a” for 16th notes “1-e-and-a”. It helps me to switch duple and triplet feel by using different syllables entirely. Smooth duple/triplet transitions are hallmarks of my favorite jazz solos, and very tricky to do seamlessly. Just my thoughts though.

Mark

P.S. I agree with Ken, this is the first program I’ve seen that really addresses the issue of connecting proper fingering to create smooth lines. I’ve always had to just wing it to this point. It caused me to go to the same ingrained fingerings, but trip over myself whenever I had to leave that comfort zone. I’m loving the 1st module. I hope I can keep pace with the releases over the next year.

guitarplayer007
            Participant

Hi Mark,

But these aren’t Triplets, the first 2 notes are tied together?
              Are you counting them as if it is a triplet w/o playing the 2nd note?
              Ken

Mark Bauer
              Participant

Hi Ken,

Yes, I’m just substituting “1-trip-let” for “1-and-a” in my head. When I swing 8th notes, I think triplet feel and do not play the second note. Sorry for the confusion. I’m discussing my approach to counting. The “1-trip” is tied and so serves as the long 8th note. the “-let” is the short 8th note giving the swing feel. I remember hearing it explained that with swing 8ths you want to IMPLY 12/8 rhythm without actually playing 12/8. I may be all wrong here…all my knowledge is from the “University of Life” so I may be filled with a whole lot of odd scraps of information. When on the bandstand, I usually just feel it and try to lock in with my band mates.

Mark

guitarplayer007
                Participant

Thanks Mark

guitarplayer007
                  Participant

Thanks for adding the Demo Richie!!!
                    Ken

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.