Pattern exercise descriptions for chromatic variations

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) PDF Book, Video & Audio Errata Reports Pattern exercise descriptions for chromatic variations

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michel Giroux
    Participant

The description of the exercises on pages 19-30 could be made clearer. Specifically, for each exercise, there is a repeat sentence to redo the exercise with a chromatic tone instead of a diatonic tone. It would be best to have a complete sentence as per the video (i manually copied the sentences from the video on my hardcopy of the workbook). It was not until i watched the video that i really understood what i needed to do.

Moreover, the numbering of the exercises do not match the summary of calisthenics. Doing doing, would probably mean that the tab be included for the “repeat” exercices. That could be done by using classical guitar notation (which includes string numbers and left hand finger numbers without the need for the TAB and less space on the page).

These are suggestions to make this easier to read and understand. I find that having the complete fingering in there would be quicker than watching the videos to understand the right fingerings for some of the chromatic notes.

One last question. Page 31 refers to appendix 1 on page 113. I could not locate the pdf that contained the appendix. Did i miss something ? Or do we get the complete PDF only when we reach the end of the course ?

Best Regards,
      Michel

Richie
      Keymaster

Sorry you are having problems with this. I will attempt to answer the best I can, each one of your concerns below:

The description of the exercises on pages 19-30 could be made clearer. Specifically, for each exercise, there is a repeat sentence to redo the exercise with a chromatic tone instead of a diatonic tone. It would be best to have a complete sentence as per the video (i manually copied the sentences from the video on my hardcopy of the workbook). It was not until i watched the video that i really understood what i needed to do.

First of all, this should have been posted in the Bebop Calisthenics section, as you are not reporting errors but instead your suggestions on how to make it clearer. I believe your initial misunderstanding of these exercises comes from that fact that you have not been following the included instructions in the Module 2 download section. You should view the videos in order first, before attempting to do any exercise. As per your recommendation to make things clearer, the initial version of the workbook had separate sentences for each exercise in the same order as the videos. It was found redundant and difficult to follow by many, and at their request I experimented with the current method, which has yielded great results and was recently included in the workbook. Note that when I say, it “yielded great results”, I am referring to the majority of students with whom I have contact (unfortunately, I can’t please everyone).

Moreover, the numbering of the exercises do not match the summary of calisthenics. Doing doing, would probably mean that the tab be included for the “repeat” exercices. That could be done by using classical guitar notation (which includes string numbers and left hand finger numbers without the need for the TAB and less space on the page).

Again, if you would have watched the videos first, you would notice that the first thing that Bebop Calisthenics video 1 states, is that the exercises are not in the same order as in the Workbook. It also states that when you do the Summary of Calisthenics in the Workbook, to do it independent from the video.
        As far as the tab goes, 80% of guitar students need it because they don’t have a background in reading regular music notation. It is my intention to accommodate them while they hopefully make the slow transition to regular notation. The added classical fingering markings tend to add yet more confusion at this point when placed next to their heptatonic fingering equivalents as well as the intervallic script. Too many numbers…

One last question. Page 31 refers to appendix 1 on page 113. I could not locate the pdf that contained the appendix. Did i miss something ? Or do we get the complete PDF only when we reach the end of the course ?

Once again, you didn’t watch the videos in order before attempting to do the exercises. If you go back, you’ll notice that Video #5 which is immediately before the first Bebop Calisthenics video, is entirely devoted to explaining appendix 1. Furthermore, when you begin Module 2, you have the option of downloading the most recent versions of the complete Lesson book and Workbook from your Dashboard, each time you login. You will find info on the latest updates at the top of your Dashboard. Please be sure to read this info, as the site is constantly growing and evolving along with the materials included.

To conclude, I want to say that in spite of the misunderstandings I appreciate your suggestions to make things better. I will consider adding some classical guitar markings to the notation for a future edition. I must confess that I’ve initially had my doubts regarding its usefulness, as this tends to defeat the purpose of the interval script and heptatonic fingering markings that this course is based on. In other words, you should eventually not be concerned with tab or notation, but instead understand that their is only 1 place on the fretboard to play, for example, a Eb Mixolydian Pattern 4 when is called for.

Also, I eventually will redo the Bebop Calisthenic videos according to the new order in the Workbook. For now my efforts are concentrated in developing the overall course further.

Michel Giroux
        Participant

Thanks for the quick reply. You are right, you can’t please everyone! But i just wanted to stress that i am nevertheless very pleased with the course. Leaving this way is fine with me. It is probably not worth spending time to add the standard notation. The summary pages starting on page 31 sums them-up very well and i have no issue whatsoever with the Intervalic script notation. I only need to adjust reading scale tones instead of a note and i can see the value of this vs thinking in terms of notes.

thanks again for the excellent course and thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.