Module 1, Workbook Exercise 1

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) PDF Book, Video & Audio Errata Reports Module 1, Workbook Exercise 1

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Khai Pham
    Participant

Hello all. In this exercise, the instructions says to spot the closest guide tone at the point of chord change.
      In measure 6, the last note is the 5 of IV7, and the next measure (7) begins with the 3 of I7.
      Shouldn’t the closest guide tone beginning on measure 7 be the b7 of I7?

I am wondering why measure 7 doesn’t begin with the closest guide tone from the last note of the previous measure. In contrast, Measure 2 and 3, with similar notes, are correct.

Here’s a link to the exercise –
      https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/GXoLdex.png

• This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Khai Pham.
      Khai Pham
      Participant

Nevermind – I suppose the exercise was simply not written to play the closest guide tone for each chord change.

Richie
        Keymaster

Hi Khai,

The smooth voice leading rule consists of moving to a guide tone at the point of chord change which should not exceed an interval of a 3rd. Sometimes an interval of a 2nd might be available also, which is actually a shorter distance as in the example you are pointing out. In the case of this exercise I didn’t violate the voice leading rule, however I opted for the 3rd because I had used the previous option earlier and I wanted some variety. In addition, I also wanted the line to ascend.

I guess to avoid any future confusion the sentence should read…”program your mind to spot a guide tone which does not exceed an interval of a 3rd at the point of chord change.”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.