key centers for module 6

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics key centers for module 6

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    joe bannon
    Participant

richie,

im just wondering about the i altered scale, that leads to the iv chord.

in the bebop calesthenics its in the key of A, in the etude its in the key of f (i think lol)

i was trying to play c7-A altered-F7 and it did not sound great!

upon further examination, in our home key of C dominant, i see the I altered to be C altered, the iv altered will be F altered…etc.

am i on the right track?

many thanks

joe

Richie
      Keymaster

Hi Joe,
        I think you’ve missed some of the basics along the way. First let me say that the calisthenics and the etudes are in no way “key” related. The calisthenics are independent of key. Furthermore, they are to be practiced in any desired key using the summary at the end of each section. The initial fixed key examples in A with TAB are only there as an example if you need to check your fingerings the first time around.

Second and most important of all, The altered dominant like all dominants must resolve a perfect 5th down. This is the essence of dominant function in any tonality. So an A super locrian and C7 alt are in no way related and would sound awful together. You need to play C super locrian for a C7 altered chord which would in turn resolve a p.5th down to F.

Hope this clears up any confusion. 🙂

joe bannon
        Participant

yes richie, that clears it up perfectly!
          my next question was going to be if its a 5th down then why not g super locrian, but its resolving a fifth down TO F not FROM C.

thanks again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.