Jazz Practice Planner

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Jazz Practice Planner

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    joel jakubowicz
    Participant

Hi Richie,

Could you please give us a “jazz practice planner” as a reference guide to study all your lessons in a logical manner ? One planner for each module (on the basis of 2 daily hours practice) would be great.

Best regards,
      Joel

guitarplayer007
      Participant

Each Module has an assignment list…But I think you have to determine amount of time..And your supposed to practice each module in order….1 then 2,3 etc.
        Ken

joel jakubowicz
        Participant

Thank you Ken but you do not answer to my question. Of course each student can determine the amount of time he wishes to devote to each topic but I ‘d like to have a reference guide that I could then adapt to my needs and actual level, hence my question to Richie.

Joel

Richie
          Keymaster

Joel,

I can’t really recommend a fair practice routine in terms of how much time to spend on each area without knowing your strengths and weaknesses. I can do this with my “one on one” students because I know what they need and it really varies from player to player.

If you are at a more advanced level in terms of your technical proficiency and have all the required scale and arpeggio fingerings down (including the location of every interval), I would recommend breaking your practice time into these 4 areas in relation to the concepts pertaining to the module you’re on:

1-Bebop Calisthenics assignments ( to develop technique,and become proficient at the fingerings and application of the approach concepts to any target note within a given arpeggio type)
            2- Opus Jazz Etudes (to play and learn applied examples of the current approaches & rhythms in the context of a harmonic progression). This should influence the next 2 areas…
            3- Rhythm Templates (write and play as many of your own etudes as possible, in order to program your mind and fingers how to eventually best apply the current concepts in real time. Keep playing them every day for a month, and they will become a part of your vocabulary…if done properly)
            4- Spend some time freely improvising over the changes you’ve been working on, and try to focus on using the concepts you’ve been working on. Record yourself if possible and keep a log of your deficiencies and strengths. Listen, listen, listen with a critical ear. Try to correct your deficiencies (ie.timing, rhythms, weak resolutions, lack of using certain concepts, etc.). Do this throughout the month and always update your log so you can keep track of your progress at the end of each month.

Keep in mind that the above recommendation is for a moderately advanced player who can identify and correct his/her weaknesses without the help of a mentor. A less advanced player is going to need the help of a qualified teacher to help with many problems the student may encounter in different areas.

A good teacher who is experienced (not only as a player, but as an actual instructor), is like a good doctor. He should be able to identify what each student’s musical deficiencies are by listening, watching and asking a few questions. Then he should offer a remedy. Sometimes what the student needs is just a supplement in a certain area…

Let me know if I’ve somewhat answered your question…

joel jakubowicz
            Participant

Richie,

Yes you clearly answered my question and added a very interesting part to my practice time “4- Spend some time freely improvising over the changes you’ve been working on”.
              As I’m starting module 2, I start with 5 mns ear training (quite easy now), then I practice the heptatonic fingerings (I’ve been using the CAGED system for about 20 years) patterns 1 and 4 from 10th position and going down to 3rd position as these stretches are not easy for me even if I try to change my thumb’s position.
              Then I follow your 4 recommended steps.

Thanks a lot for your answer and for the new jazz etudes mp3 files.

Joel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.