Is it wise to start playing though cycle of 5ths

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics Is it wise to start playing though cycle of 5ths

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    guitarplayer007
    Participant

using the bebop Calisthenics even though I’ve only been working on the first few exercises for patterns 1,4,5
      It’s a lot of work at first but seems like it would be of huge benefit in the long run?
      Ken

Richie
      Keymaster

It sure does, although you would have to learn the additional fingerings…

guitarplayer007
        Participant

Yes already stated tonight

Miguel Granada
          Participant

Arent we going to learn and apply the other mixolydian fingerings later during this course ?

If not should we learn them now ?

Cheers

guitarplayer007
            Participant

I’ve been practicing all 7 fingerings from the get go with the Arpeggios and the cycle of 5ths using the vertical method. I have all 7 fingering down, doesn’t take long to memorize them 🙂
              Ken

Miguel Granada
              Participant

Thx Ken, i m going to start also doing that

guitarplayer007
                Participant

Good idea Miguel, I’m on Module 2 and there is a tremendous amount of work….Richie is right it will take a while to assimilate everything in M 2
                  Ken

Miguel Granada
                  Participant

Yes Ken, i m also on Module 2 (i think we were the first ones here hehe), started on 14th of August ,i think.
                    I m now on Study 3, i have done all the Calisthenics and keep doing them now as a warmup routine (pick one at random and stay with it for the day).

Doing Study 3 , i also do the other studies couple of times every day.

guitarplayer007
                    Participant

Do you work…lol

guitarplayer007
                      Participant

Do you work…lol I can only get in about 2 hours a day after work, and more on weekends

Miguel Granada
                        Participant

yeah, i work in music performing and teaching. 2 hours a day is pretty good !!

guitarplayer007
                          Participant

Do already play jazz?

Miguel Granada
                            Participant

fighting with it for +-6 years now

guitarplayer007
                              Participant

me about 5 years of jazz, but still never made the progress I thought I should have by now….Hopefully this program gets me there !
                                Ken

Richie
                                Keymaster

Guys,
                                  The more you do the better. However, each person knows how much they can handle according to their level of proficiency. I present the exercises in a slow, as needed fashion so you won’t get too overwhelmed. It takes a while to get comfortable with all the fingerings and understand where everything is in terms of the intervals. For the record, it took me at least a good 2 years back when I first started to work on them, before I could feel semi comfortable with them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.