How to practice scales & arpeggio patterns?

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other How to practice scales & arpeggio patterns?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Frank Maurer
    Participant

What would be the best way to practice the scale and arpeggio patterns?
      What speed should I aim for?

Frank

Richie
      Keymaster

Hi Frank,

In the 2nd half of video #9 of Module 1, I explain in detail how to practice the scales and arpeggios. I don’t mention what speed to aim for because this will vary depending on your level of proficiency. However, I do recommend that you be able to play them as fast as possible as long as the execution is clean. Moderate speed is the goal, but more important than speed is knowing what you are playing and where all the chord degrees are located within each fingering pattern.

Richie

guitarplayer007
        Participant

Hey Frank,
          So what are you working in the first module?
          Ken

Frank Maurer
          Participant

Working on mixolydian patterns 1,5 & 5 through all keys (cycle of 4th)
            Scale down first then arpeggio down.

Miguel Granada
            Participant

Hi i started last week.

I m practicing also patterns 1,4,5 going with a chromatic movement across the fingerboard with the metronome and increasing the metronome every time i reach first fret and 12th fret.

i do that going up the pitch and then starting the scales and arps from the highest pitch of the pattern and going down.I play the relative 7th chord before performing any scale or arp.

Practicing also the ear training. Intevals – major 3rds, perfect 5ths. Triads 1 3 5 . Major7th arp.
              I am doing this using the songs as a starting point to recall the sounds.

Cheers
              Miguel

guitarplayer007
              Participant

So what i can gleam this is what module 1 consists of working on.

1) Mixolydian scales patterns 1,4,5
                2) learning the Arpeggio for this patterns as well the scale degrees.
                3) Guide tone resolution and understanding the 3rds and 7ths and how they resolve.
                4) Playing the blues and guide tones to backing tracks.
                5) Chord studies
                6) Rhythm Lab
                7) Ear training.
                Not sure if I missed anything.
                Ken

Miguel Granada
                Participant

Yes, i think you got it all right.

And also understanding the heptatonic system of fingerings in a generic way and its relantionship with vertical and horizontal directions.

A good way that i think work is to at least assign your starting finger for every pattern and see where it goes. Pattern 1 ,1st finger 6th string / Pattern 2, 2nd (or 3rd) finger 6th string, etc . This way you will know the starting points for the patterns. No matter what scale you will be playing ,the starting point will be allways the same.

Hope it makes sense

cheers

Richie
                  Keymaster

Yes Miguel you are correct! Thanks for the input!

In terms of what to do, I have included a detailed PDF called “Instructions and Assignments” for Module 1. It is available in the Lesson PDF downloads for Module 1 along with the Lesson and Workbook portions.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.