How to Pick Triplets…?

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other How to Pick Triplets…?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nick Ketter
    Participant

Hi Richie,
      In either Module 2 you ask that notes on the downbeat be picked with a downward stroke and notes on the upbeat be picked with an upstroke. This is essentially alternate picking, as I understand it.

How do you suggest picking triplets, as they are introduced in Module 3? I.e. a triplet followed by an eighth note or quarter note? It seems there are 3 options:

Assuming a triplet on the first quarter note: Down-up-down, followed by an eighth note or quarter note on the 2nd beat of the measure:

Down-up-down-down (where the 3rd ‘down’ is the 2nd beat of the measure)
      Down-up-down-up (where the 2nd ‘up’ is on the 2nd beat, and we attempt to get back into downstrokes later in the beat or measure)
      Up-down-up-down (basically reversing the picking of the triplet so that you end up in the “Down” on the 2nd beat)

I guess a fourth option is “It doesn’t matter, at long as you eventually get back to downstrokes on the beat and upstrokes off the beat asap after the triplet.

I hope my question makes sense.

Thanks as always!

Richie
      Keymaster

The picking technique for triplets is explained on p.43 of the VOL1 Workbook.

Nick Ketter
        Participant

Ah, right you are! I need to get in the habit of looking ahead in the books. I just started working on the Module 3 Rhythm Templates, so this is timely.

Thanks Richie!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.