harmony and rhythm guitar

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other harmony and rhythm guitar

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    shaytrager trager
    Participant

Hey Richie
      We all understand that the course deals with the melodic side of Jazz Guitar
      I wanted to ask if you could recommend a method or a good book
      That explains thoroughly ,as similar to this course,
      The process for building an harmonic and rhythmic understanding of jazz guitar
      and Is there a chance that in the future you will make a parallel course deals with harmony and rhythm guitar in jazz?
      thanks
      shay

Richie
      Keymaster

Shay,

By rhythm guitar I assume you mean the use and development of “chords” on the guitar. The guitar oriented books that come to mind dealing with this subject are, “Chord Chemistry” by Ted Greene, “The Advancing Guitarist” by Mick Goodrick and a book by Dennis Sandole called “Guitar Lore”. I truly don’t know if they will fulfill your needs as the information in all of them takes a lot for granted. That said, I will be releasing a course online exclusively devoted to chord melody and the development of harmony on the guitar. It probably won’t happen for another 6 months as I will be busy in the next months finishing VOL 2 of the Bebop Series.

shaytrager trager
        Participant

Thanks Richie
          I begin the countdown until your course
          I’m really looking forward to it
          shay

MR J C GURR
          Participant

Hi Shay,

I can recommend all of the following resources from personal experience:

Fareed Haque’s Jazz Comping Guides: https://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-lessons/jazz-comping-survival-guide/c121

Jamie Taylor’s Comping Guides: http://www.mikesmasterclasses.com/index.php/A-Guide-to-Practial-Comping-Part-1/Detailed-product-flyer.html and http://www.mikesmasterclasses.com/index.php/A-Guide-to-Practical-Comping-Part-II/Detailed-product-flyer.html

Rich Severson’s Comping Guides: http://www.99centguitarlessons.com/JazzComping.html and http://www.99centguitarlessons.com/compinrealbook.html

All the best,

Julian

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by MR J C GURR.
            MR J C GURR
            Participant

Hi Shay,

I just remembered this really useful lesson from Jimmy Bruno that is currently available here:

All the best,

Julian

MR J C GURR
              Participant
                guitarplayer007
                Participant

Thanks Mr Curr,

I’m looking for something like what I call chord movement…If you ever watched Jack Wilkins comp behind someone, the guy never stops moving….Are any of those link have that kind of theory and or examples?
                  Thanks
                  Ken

guitarplayer007
                  Participant

I just checked Jamie Taylor on Masterclasses, have practical comping..Looks really good…going to purchase it tonight.
                    ken

shaytrager trager
                    Participant

Thanks a lot
                      julian

Mark Rhodes
                      Participant

Hey, Julian,
                        Thank you for posting the Jimmy Bruno video. I spent some time at his workshop but had not seen that video before. Very useful.

Navdeep_Singh
                        Participant

Jimmy is not teaching anything different than what Richie has presented in his truncated (only on 1 stringset) intro —or what my teacher taught me —it’s the exact same thing —drop 2s on 3 stringsets and drop 3s on 2 stringsets. Thus, at the end, 20 different ways to play each type of 6th 0r 7th chord (6, m6, M7, m7, mM7, 7, half dim, dim).

nObody is reinventing the wheel here. It’s fundamental stuff. The point is, when you know how chords are built, when you figure out the inversions after accounting for the drop 2s and drop 3s, you can figure everything out for yourself without a massive chord book or diagrams.

Pawel Strejczek
                          Participant

I am sure, that a course of chord melody and harmony on guitar will be a “must go” for most of us. It would be great actually if it would be also focused on comping approaches beacuse that is what you actually do for most of the time when playing in a band.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.