Further Definition

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics Further Definition

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mdhakr
    Participant

RIchie, b3-Ch-Ch-1 (b3-2-(b2/9)-1) and 3-ch-ch-1 are upper double chromatics landing on a chord tone (1).
      Other than a chromatic line, how would one define 3-b3-2-1 which we hear all the time?

Richie
      Keymaster

That is not a chromatic line. It is 3, ch pt to 9, and 1…

mdhakr
        Participant

I know it’s picky but I remember having only seen PT defined between chord tones. If the “line” above (3, ch pt to 9, and 1) is all 8th notes, I don’t see definition for the 2 being a 9 UE. Have you defined ChPT to non harmonic tones (2,4), or are we to assume this back in Lesson 2?

Richie
          Keymaster

I have defined ch pt or approach tones in general to upper extension in Lesson 4. See Lesson Book 1 p. 60 , last paragraph (#4).

In the specific example you gave which I understand as 3- ch pt-9-1, I assume the line is being played in a register above middle C. This makes the 2 a 9 in how it blends with the harmony, or if you want to be really specific, the overtone series produced by the chords root being played by the bass. The ch pt is clearly targeting and resolving to the 9. Proof is that we could end the line there and it would sound fine in that range. That is evidence of resolution. This however is not the case if the same line were to be played by the bass player. It would then most likely be analyzed as 3-ch pt- 2-1 because the 2 can no longer function as an upper extension or added chord tone. This would also probably be the case if on guitar we play it on the 6th string.

Furthermore, some will call it a 2 even in a high register simply because it is an 8th note being played at a fast tempo. So tempo can also affect the function of a note! Therefore it is all relative.

Personally I opt to call it a 9th when teaching jazz improvisation, for 2 reasons: 1- I assume the student will be playing it in the register covered by the top 4 strings and 2- I assume no student is yet playing it at a high tempo where it looses its identity as a 9.

The bottom line is that if you want to call it a 2, it won’t affect your playing for the better or worst and you don’t have to worry about the jazz police coming after you 🙂

mdhakr
            Participant

Thanks for the elaboration. Trying to get the rules in my head and following them rendered some “cognitive ambiguity” in deciding if the 2 was a 9. Your answer is great; the ear is usually king, but the theory is helpful as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.