Fourths tuning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Alun Thomas
    Participant

Hi Richie,

I was wondering if you could give me some advice regarding how to approach the material given that I’ve long since moved away from standard tuning in favour of fourths tuning and i’m reluctant to move back to the complications of the CAGED / 3NPS system etc but it seems that the language within the lessons focus on pattern identification and referral to ‘Pattern X of 7 etc’.

Many thanks in advance!
      Alun

Richie
      Keymaster

Sorry, can’t help you there! This course, as any other guitar oriented one out there, is based on centuries of the technique that has evolved around the harmonic possibilities of the guitar’s conventional tuning. From the moment you change that tuning you are going to find yourself reinventing the wheel and redefining the instrument. Yes, you will find some new possibilities but then again you will find that many interval combinations are then not possible, especially in in the context of chord voicings.

You mention the complications of C-A-G-E-D and 3 Notes per String, but if you want my honest opinion, you’re faced with a whole new set of complications when changing the tuning. Trust me, if it was easier, we would all be doing it!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.