Errata for Module 5b

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Acosta
    Participant

Richie,

I found a couple of errors in Module 5b.

– Bebop Calisthenics 11
      – Page 67, first line, measure 3 under the Dm7, the intervallic is
      “b3 4 ch 1”. It should be something like “1 ch(above) ch(below) 1”.
      Also the corresponding intervallic in the three rhythmic variations
      below it need to be corrected.

– Lesson 5: Modal Super-Imposition
      – Page 68, first line, measure 2 under the Cm7, It says pattern 2 above
      the chord, but the tab and fingering notation clearly indicate pattern 1.
      So everything should be either pattern 1 or pattern 2. Seems like either
      one is workable.

That’s it. This one looks pretty clean.

Mark

Richie
      Keymaster

Thanks Mark! Ive made the necessary corrections and re-uploaded the corresponding PDFs.
        I need to make you my official proofreader…

Mark Acosta
        Participant

Does proofreader come with any benefits? 🙂

I found a couple of other things.

– Lesson 5: Modal Super-Imposition
          – Page 62, in the illustration right in the middle of the page.
          It looks like the mappings for F major and G major are swapped. You have G for F and F for G.

– Page 63, the illustration near the top of the page (“Parallel Function of 2 Relative Modes”).
          Under Super-Imposition:G7 Mixolydian: I can’t make any sense of the mappings here. If you’re
          relating it back to the Bm7b5 Locrian, shouldn’t it be something like “b6 b7 1 b2 b3 4 b5” or
          am I confused?

Mark

Richie
          Keymaster

Hi Mark,

I think proofreader comes with full Obama Care subsidies because the gig will ensure that you are well below the poverty line 🙂

I checked these and I think you are getting confused as they are all correct.
            For example in the mappings for F and G, it shows that when the 1 in C is played against an F chord, it acts as the 5th (of F) and when it is played against G, it acts as the 4th (of the G chord). This is correct as C is the 5th of F and C is the 4th of G. I’m not sure how you are interpreting this to arrive at your conclusion that the mappings have been swapped.

As far as the locrian/ mixolydian relationship, the 3rd of G mixolydian is the root of B Locrian. This is the Mixolydian super-imposed a minor 6th up from the Locrian’s root as shown. I don’t know if it would make it easier in the diagram to put the Locrian at the top and the Mixolydian below it instead? Remember, the diagram is showing the parallel function of the degrees in both modes. So, the 3 in G mixo is the equivalent of the root in B locrian. In your suggestion you are describing it starting from the root in G mixo. What you are saying is in essence correct and not in conflict with what I am saying. The only difference is that it would no longer be a parallel depiction as explicitly stated in the diagram.

Mark Acosta
            Participant

Richie,

It took me a while to respond. Busy with taxes and other stuff.

I took another look at this and figured it out. I was just misinterpreting what you were doing in the diagrams. So it is right. My bad.

Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.