Differences in Mixolydian Fingerings 1 and 4 vs. 5

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Heptatonic Fingering Patterns Differences in Mixolydian Fingerings 1 and 4 vs. 5

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    HellhoundsOnMe
    Participant

This is possibly a dumb question concerning Mixolydian Fingering Patterns 1, 4, and 5. Do you feel there might be a loss of continuity in doing the pinky stretches on 1 and 4, while not doing it on pattern 5? As I get these shapes and patterns ingrained in my head, I find that I kind of want to also do a pinky stretch between first and second degrees on the fifth string. Do you have any comments. Do I need to just be flexible and just use the middle finger on the first degree? Thanks.

Richie
      Keymaster

mmmm…not sure I understand your question. In pat 5, 5th string, you regularly play the 1 with your middle and the 2 with your pinky but there is no stretch required. Please clarify…
        Thx

HellhoundsOnMe
        Participant

I see now the errors of my ways with this poor question. I have been trying to keep my fingers assigned to certain frets in hopes that it will make navigating the first position easier. When I go from fret 3 to fret 5 with Mixo patterns 1 and 4, I stretch with the ring finger and pinky now. But with pattern 5, you teach us to use the middle finger and the pinky on frets 3 and 5 (5th string) and so on for the other strings.

Like I said, I see now that it was some faulty thinking. I need to treat each pattern separately, like I am getting into a different but similar car, just with the controls in not quite the same position.

OK. Got it, now.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.