developing a practice routine

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics developing a practice routine

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    joe bannon
    Participant

hi,

i’m nearing the end of bebop 1 and i’m thinking about a practice routine that will help me internalize all the calesthenics.

i initally thought, 7 fingering positions; 7 days.

however although i know 3 note enclosures in the dorian mode, i dont know them for the mixolydian. although i know 2 note enclosures in c mixolydian i dont know them in dorian, never mind in all 12 keys!

should my first task be to stay in my home key of the c blues, and translate all the calesthenics exercises in all 7 positions for ionian, mixolydian, dorian, super locrian etc (as covered in the units 1-9) for a few months before moving it around all keys?

many thanks

joe

Richie
      Keymaster

It’s hard for me to recommend a practice routine if I’m not familiar with your playing and application of the resources in the course (approaches, upper extensions, voice leading, rhythm, etc). I always advice that you be able to play music with what you already know before moving on. Students sometimes come to me knowing a bunch of scales and fingerings but can’t even improvise coherently over a 12 bar blues using 3 mixolydian scales! My advice is that you make sure that you can use the approach concepts you know and voice lead properly in a blues progression before spending too much time learning more scales.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.