BGIS & JGSS Question

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other BGIS & JGSS Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jazzy Beatle
    Participant

Richie, I’ve got a question for you, but first let me thank you for the free “20th Century Jazz Guitar” e-book in which you reference the YouTube “Jazz Guitar Channel.” I’ve watched the “How To Use The Jazz Guitarists Signature Series” videos and since I’ve just started with the BGIS, I was wondering: at which point in the Bebop series would you advise a beginner improviser to start incorporating the Signature series?

Wishing you a Happy Holiday Season!

Gerard

Richie
      Keymaster

Honestly, I wouldn’t spend any time with it for now if you’re doing the BGIS. At the end of Module 8 I will introduce “Dissecting the Masters”. Here I will take a lot of the phrases form the JGSS as well as other non guitarists and with the foundation you will have received in the previous modules of this course, I teach you a procedure to analyze them and “reverse engineer” them. You will learn to cop the essential feel of the phrase and come up with several variations for your own vocabulary. I think it is at this point that the phrases from the JGSS will become very useful…as well as any transcriptions you can get your hands on!

Richie
        Keymaster

Honestly, I wouldn’t spend any time with it for now if you’re doing the BGIS. At the end of Module 8 I will introduce “Dissecting the Masters”. Here I will take a lot of the phrases form the JGSS as well as other non guitarists and with the foundation you will have received in the previous modules of this course, I teach you a procedure to analyze them and “reverse engineer” them. You will learn to cop the essential feel of the phrase and come up with several variations for your own vocabulary. I think it is at this point that the phrases from the JGSS will become very useful…as well as any transcriptions you can get your hands on!

Jazzy Beatle
          Participant

I was close to the mark then. I was thinking somewhere around Vol.2. Thanks for the reply!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.