Bebop Calisthenics…The long haul

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics Bebop Calisthenics…The long haul

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Bauer
    Participant

I’m working through Bebop Calisthenics 1. It’s very exciting as I’m seeing the neck in a whole new way. The issue I’m having is that it’s slow going. I won’t get through this in two weeks, even though I’m pushing hard. I can play through the page 19 exercises starting with any of the seven fingerings playing through I-IV-V in any position on the neck. These are not yet mastered though. But man I still have to master pages 20, 21 and 22! Then there’s the major, minor, half diminished, etc…. It’s awesome and exhausting. My concern is falling behind schedule. I’m not even to the etudes yet in module 2. I think this nine month course might take me nine years! yikes!

Any suggestions on where to place my focus to be most efficient, or is this just the heavy lifting necessary to move on?

Mark

Richie
      Keymaster

Hi Mark,

The idea with the 9 modules is to do only what is required in each lesson. For now you are only required to learn the 3 Mixolydian fingerings (pat. 1, 4 & 5). I will be teaching you several concepts using these fingerings and gradually introduce others. Once you learn the general concepts, you can work them out in the remaining fingerings. If you try to work on the calisthenics for all the fingerings,for all the modes, it is guaranteed that you will fall behind!

Working out all the materials (eg. calisthenics, etudes, etc) in all 7 fingerings for all the modes, is really meant to be a long term study that you can continue with after you have finished with this course. Also, many of the additional modes and fingerings not yet covered, will only be used in volume 2 of this series when we start concentrating on linking them together horizontally throughout the fretboard.

It took me a good 2 years to get semi comfortable with all these modes and fingerings so don’t get stressed over it! Take your time, and preferably do only what is required for each lesson module…

Mark Bauer
        Participant

Thanks for the insight Richie. I misinterpreted the assignment and am now back on track. I showed the exercises I’m working on to a professional jazz pianist and professional jazz guitarist I’m close to. They were very impressed and highly endorsed this arpeggio-based approach to playing. I played out the other week and the guys on the bandstand commented that my lines were more cohesive. It’s clear that I’m training my chops to center the chord tones on the beat. Thank you for this series! Now back to the shed….

guitarplayer007
          Participant

For some reason I was trying to do the cycle of 5ths though all fingerings, but your right thats a long term project.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.