Bebop Calisthenics 3A

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics Bebop Calisthenics 3A

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mdhakr
    Participant

Richie, what was the difference between exercises 2 and 6 in the video again? They are titled the same but played differently.

Richie
      Keymaster

The difference is that 2 is descending only and 6 is ascending only.

If you look at the arrows on the left of each exercise you’ll notice that for ex2, the arrow is downward while for ex6 it is upward. That’s also why exercise 2 is written descending (b7, 5, 3, 1), while ex6 is written ascending (1, 3, 5, b7). If you need further understanding please read p.113, Appendix 1 in the workbook or watch video #5 in Module 2.

mdhakr
        Participant

I found that I can learn the various enclosures much easier if I have each exercise of the Calisthenics on 1 page as Exercise 1–Patterns 1/4/5, Exercise 2–Patterns 1/4/5 rather than having to flip back and forth between pages of ALL Pattern 1–exercises 1-8. See examples of Exercise 1 and 2 that I made. I do use the summaries but like to look at the full “audit trail” as well when learning these.

Have you thought of putting the exercises also in such a form (ie. as another way of looking at them.?

Jack

Attachments:
          You must be logged in to view attached files.
          mdhakr
          Participant

I’ve uploaded here an “elaborated” summary for my reference of all the enclosure pair numbers and their exercises for anyone who might find this useful. These correlate with the video and workbook mixolydian 2 note enclosure exercises. This is a Word document so it can be adjusted to one’s needs…

Attachments:
            You must be logged in to view attached files.
            Richie
            Keymaster

Thanks Jack for the attachments! I’m sure several students will find it handy. I must add that although there are different ways of practicing the Calisthenics, the goal is to routinely practice with the summaries and not the initial pages with regular notation. These are just for starters and hopefully by the time you get to the enclosures you should be familiar enough with the 3 mixolydian fingerings that you can go straight to the summaries. At least that has been the case with the more technically proficient students I’ve worked with.

The Word document you uploaded is very similar to the summaries of the previous edition of the Workbook. After several years of working with students, I found that the current graphic depictions yield much better and faster results. I guess we are visual creatures and like the old adage goes…”A picture tells a thousand stories”. Therefore when I find the time (hopefully in this lifetime), I plan to redo the videos in the new workbook order, displaying the graphics for each exercise.

mdhakr
              Participant

Thanks Richie.

My issue was trying to remember these in a logical order that I could reproduce on demand in my head. Thus I would have the Global Base diatonic exercises and then add the chromatic nuances. The only technical difficulty that I had was and is trying to learn the chromatics to each exercise. Thus, this was organization for me….

Jack

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.