Bebop Cal Exercise #2

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics Bebop Cal Exercise #2

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    steve Alexander
    Participant

Hi Richie

So It seems that the Exercise #2 in the video does not correspond to exercise 2 in the workbook.

Video example #2 is descending dom 7th arp w/lower chromatic neighboring tone for 3 & lower diatonic note for b7

Workbook # 2 is descending dom 7th arp w/lower neighboring tones for 1 & 5

Am I mistaken?

Richie
      Keymaster

Hi Steve,

All the Calisthenics correspond to the “Summaries” after the notated/tabbed versions. The page in the workbook is given right at the beginning of the video. For Calisthenics 1 that would be p.31. You’ll also notice that in the workbook summaries there are always less exercises. Here’s a response I gave to another member recently regarding this confusion with the Calisthenics summaries:

“In the video I played all the exercises first descending for the 3 current patterns being used, and later on ascending. In the workbook summary it says to play each exercise both descending and ascending. It amounts to the same thing.

“After experimenting with doing all of them first descending and then ascending, I found it more productive, quicker and easier to do each exercise descending and immediately ascending. So if I had separate instructions for descending and ascending, I was able to consolidate all of them into one set of instructions. This means that if I had 20 exercises in the video, I now only have 10 in the summary. This was an afterthought after the video was done. I was only able to adopt this approach for calisthenics featured in later modules.

When you practice the calisthenics, the video is supposed to be used only initially to orient you and give you details as to proper fingering use and other issues which you may encounter when trying to do a specific exercise. Once you have watched the video, please practice from the corresponding summary in the workbook.”

As a result, I will add a note at the beginning of the Calisthenics videos to not try to view the summaries together with the videos but instead to consider them a stand alone set of instructions.

steve Alexander
        Participant

Hi Richie,

Thanks for your response. Still something I am finding confusing. Here is what I mean. I made an image but didn’t know how to imbed an image without posting it online somewhere so here is a link the imgage via dropbox.

Steve

Richie
          Keymaster

I think you forgot to embed the link…

steve Alexander
            Participant

steve Alexander
              Participant

the imbed function isn’t working so here it is to cut and paste

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/56523028/BEBOB-CAL.jpg

steve Alexander
                Participant

yikes! now I am noticing that the summaries list doesn’t correspond to my workbook either. One example

Exercise #8 in the summary is

Dom 7 Arp w/up NT for 3 and lower NT for 5

in the workbook #8 is

Ascending dom 7 arp/w lower neighboring tone for 3 & upper for 5

Hope I’m not being a total pain in the #$&X

Richie
                  Keymaster

Like I said previously, you are looking at the wrong page in the workbook. The exercises on the video correspond to the exercises in the summary on p.31.

Richie
                    Keymaster

Please re-read my full initial response carefully:

“In the video I played all the exercises first descending for the 3 current patterns being used, and later on ascending. In the workbook summary it says to play each exercise both descending and ascending. It amounts to the same thing.

After experimenting with doing all of them first descending and then ascending, I found it more productive, quicker and easier to do each exercise descending and immediately ascending. So if I had separate instructions for descending and ascending, I was able to consolidate all of them into one set of instructions. This means that if I had 20 exercises in the video, I now only have 10 in the summary. This was an afterthought after the video was done. I was only able to adopt this approach for calisthenics featured in later modules.

When you practice the calisthenics, the video is supposed to be used only initially to orient you and give you details as to proper fingering use and other issues which you may encounter when trying to do a specific exercise. Once you have watched the video, please practice from the corresponding summary in the workbook.”

As a result, I will add a note at the beginning of the Calisthenics videos to not try to view the summaries together with the videos but instead to consider them a stand alone set of instructions.

steve Alexander
                      Participant

SO does that mean I should disregard all of the numbers on the left of each tab and notation (pages 19-30) and just find the descriptions that correspond to page 31?

steve Alexander
                        Participant

AHHH OK I think cracked it now. My confusion had nothing to do with the ascending and descending thing you mention in yiur response. It was the little note underneath each numeric exercise that gives you an alternate. I see now that you are giving each alternate a number in the summary This stuff is confusing enough without adding this! Would be less confusing I think to call number 2 in the summary 1B and so on.

Richie
                          Keymaster

Hi Steve,
                            I’m sorry about the confusion you’re having, but from what you’re describing you’re not looking at the summary page. You’re looking at the notation/tab version. If I’m not wrong, when you say “alternate” you are talking about the small blurb after each exercise that says “Repeat exercise so and so using blah,blah…”. This is not the summary that I am referring to!

The summary for the calisthenics is a page containing just text right after all the initial pages that have the notation and tab. The very top of the page should say “Summary of Bebop Calisthenics” in bold letters. For calisthenics #1, the workbook PDF should say p.31 at the very bottom.

The notation/tab versions are for you to go over on your own, when you’re not watching the video if you’re not yet comfortable with just reading the numeric instructions. The goal of the exercise, and the video is to be able to execute each arpeggio and the approach note permutation by just looking at the set of intervallic instructions as in the Summary page.

I truly hope this clears it up. I will take your advise and make the alternate exercises in the notation/tab examples labeled as 1b,2b, etc. for the next revision of the workbook. However, keep in mind that this has nothing to do with the video which directs viewers to the proper Summary page at the beginning. Again, sorry for the confusion, and I will try to append a small note at the beginning of the video to further clarify this.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.