Bb Blues Improv after Finishing Mod 3 Vol 1

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Bb Blues Improv after Finishing Mod 3 Vol 1

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mdhakr
    Participant

Here’s a late night (I feel tired from my day at work) attempt at Improv after finally feeling that module 3 is finished. Spent a few months to get those enclosures under my fingers and here am trying to play some stuff so that it is real without sounding like an exercise. So, not perfect but putting some neighbouring tones, unprepared approaches and enclosures to early use!

Title: My attempt to Raw Improvise a bit of Bb blues after Module 3.

PS: Don’t worry about the grimacing; I’m really having a good time!

Richie
      Keymaster

Thanks for sharing! I hear the neighboring tones, some UA and enclosures which is good!

Some advice, if I may….I can hear a lot of traditional blues phrasing which is good for starters. However, to get more into the jazz idiom we need to adopt a different mindset. It’s all in the details…

Try not to start on the root so often on every chord change. As a matter of fact, try to avoid starting on it altogether for now if you can. Try to make your primary guide tones (3 and b7) and occasional 5ths, your beginning notes.

Also, try to play over the bar line connecting the changes more often. In other words try not to play so many phrases that end before a chord change. Connect the changes using voice leading, again preferably to the closest 3 or b7.

mdhakr
        Participant

Hi Richie.

I felt and am really aware of all these issues when playing but just wanted to incorporate what I learned so far into my regular gigging style. I will work on my non-root phrasing and thanks for this most constructive advice.

Jack

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.