4321 string set fingerings and &th chords arps / scales

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other 4321 string set fingerings and &th chords arps / scales

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark Rhodes
    Participant

I’ve been spending time daily playing the four inversions of dominant 7th chords (-no extensions yet) on the top four strings. All 12 of ’em, first C7, then F7, then Bb7 and so on through G7 and back to C7. This morning I thought “I should know which arpeggio and scale fingering fits each inversion.” That wasn’t so hard to figure out.
      C7 root on B string: fingering 6
      C7 root on G string: fingering 3 or 4
      C7 root on E string: fingering 1 or 2 (-depending)
      C7 root on D string: fingering 7

Is this correct? (Fingerings 4 and 5 have not been mentioned, so I feel I’m missing something. Fingering 5 seems to suit a C9 with the root on the A string, which is not part of the present routine.)

Richie
      Keymaster

Yes,it is pretty much correct. The way I look at it, for str. group 1234:
        Chords w/ root on 1 are usually derived from pattern 1
        Chords w/ root on 2 are usually derived from pattern 6 or 5 (when using the 9)
        Chords w/ root on 3 are usually derived from pattern 3 if major or 4 if minor
        Chords w/ root on 4 are usually derived from pattern 7

However, when you start working with other string groups it all varies…remember that there are only 4 inversions per str group, yet 7 fingerings. This means that there may be 3 fingerings not available per str group…

Mark Rhodes
        Participant

Thanks, Richie! I’ve just been here a few weeks and I’m already much better off for joining!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.