Why not mention or use the Harmonic minor scale for Alt Dom chords

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) # HOW TO USE THE FORUM Why not mention or use the Harmonic minor scale for Alt Dom chords

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    R Bruce Bradley
    Participant

Just curious why the Harmonic minor scale isn’t mentioned (used) or shown in your heptatonic system for altered dominant chords ~ which I know is used in Gypsy jazz which is somewhat related to bebop?

Richie
      Keymaster

You have posted this under “How to use the Forum” but I will answer anyhow…

The altered dominant is derived from the super locrian which is a mode of the melodic minor and not the harmonic minor. Bebop seldom uses the harmonic minor, instead it uses the melodic minor which is also known as the jazz minor. Although Gypsy jazz and Bebop use some of the same concepts, they differ in this and other respects.

Personally, even though I know the harmonic minor, I never use it. Furthermore, bebop isn’t about using a lot of scales, but instead a focus on arpeggios with approach note permutations from a related limited number of scales.

As far as the heptatonic system goes, it is applicable to every 7 note scale, which of course includes the harmonic minor. I just don’t teach it because it would be redundant within the scope of this course. This is the same reason I don’t teach many other modes of the major scale as well as the natural and melodic minor. Only what we need to learn the fundamentals and improvise over the great majority of standards! Once you understand how to use the scales here, you can always explore any scales not included on your own.

By the way, I introduce the harmonic minor and all its modes and provide an analysis of each one in VOL2 of the BGIS.

Richie
        Keymaster

You have posted this under “How to use the Forum” but I will answer anyhow…

The altered dominant is derived from the super locrian which is a mode of the melodic minor and not the harmonic minor. Bebop seldom uses the harmonic minor, instead it uses the melodic minor which is also known as the jazz minor. Although Gypsy jazz and Bebop use some of the same concepts, they differ in this and other respects.

Personally, even though I know the harmonic minor, I never use it. Furthermore, bebop isn’t about using a lot of scales, but instead a focus on arpeggios with approach note permutations from a related limited number of scales.

As far as the heptatonic system goes, it is applicable to every 7 note scale, which of course includes the harmonic minor. I just don’t teach it because it would be redundant within the scope of this course. This is the same reason I don’t teach many other modes of the major scale as well as the natural and melodic minor. Only what we need to learn the fundamentals and improvise over the great majority of standards! Once you understand how to use the scales here, you can always explore any scales not included on your own.

By the way, I introduce the harmonic minor and all its modes and provide an analysis of each one in VOL2 of the BGIS.

R Bruce Bradley
          Participant

Oh really really sorry about posting in the how to use section – truly appreciate the insight/answer and reply. Loving your course and your teaching style! Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.