when should i learn all 7 heptatonic fingerings

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Heptatonic Fingering Patterns when should i learn all 7 heptatonic fingerings

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    victor hwang
    Participant

Hey Richie,
      I am currently in module 3. You have only presented mixolydian 1,4 and 5. Should I be trying to learn all 7 heptatonic fingerings now and apply bebop calisthenics or are you going to present them all in the future?

Joe
      Participant

Hey, I found this in the FAQ section:

“Question:

Should I be trying to work on each set of Bebop Calisthenics for all 7 heptatonic fingerings?

Answer:

You only have to do only what is required for each lesson module. Initially you are only required to learn the 3 Mixolydian fingerings (pat. 1, 4 & 5). I then teach you several concepts using these fingerings and gradually introduce others. Once you learn the general concepts, you can work them out in the remaining fingerings. If you try to work on the calisthenics for all the fingerings, and for all the modes, it is guaranteed that you will fall behind! On the other hand, if you are an advanced player and have the time and motivation to do so, I would say go for it! If this is the case, try playing each calisthenic vertically, through the descending cycle of 5ths (see the “Vertical Cycle of Fingerings” in module 1). This will take you through all 7 fingerings.

Working out all the materials (eg. calisthenics, etudes, etc) in all 7 fingerings for all the modes, is really meant to be a long term study project that you can continue with after you have finished with this course. Also, many of the additional modes and fingerings not yet covered, will only be used in volume 2 of this series when we start concentrating on linking them together horizontally throughout the fretboard playing 32 measure standards.

Just for the record, it took me a good 2 years to get semi comfortable with all these modes and fingerings so don’t get stressed over it! Take your time, and try to complete and if possible master what is required for each lesson module before attempting to do more…”

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.