Some questions about fingering patterns

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Heptatonic Fingering Patterns Some questions about fingering patterns

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    William Moser
    Participant

Hello, first post here.
      My first question is, are the fingerings shown in the Module 1 videos the “preferred” fingerings for the Major & Mixolydian scales? The reason I ask is that, for some of them, I can see fingerings that trade a 5-fret stretch for a temporary move of the index finger back one fret.
      My second question is, are there diagrams of these fingerings available? I am able to work out the demonstrated fingerings by slowing down the videos, but the actual fingerings are not shown in the downloadable materials for Module 1.

Richie
      Keymaster

Hi William,
        The individual fingering diagrams are for download in Scale & Arpeggios Library. However, I have just placed downloads for the 3 Mixolydian fingerings under the main video in Module 1 that introduces them.

As far as your 1st question goes, can you give me a concrete example? Thanks

William Moser
        Participant

Thanks, I don’t know how I missed those under the video!
          As for an example, in the fingering for the pattern 1 mixolydian, instead of playing the 2 on the 5th fret of the fourth string, you could also play it on the open G string. Of course that doesn’t work for playing pattern 1 starting on F, but it would work (fingering fret 1 on string 3) when playing pattern one on starting on F#. I’m not saying it’s a good way to do it – really just wondering if the fingerings you’ve come up with are what you’ve found to be the most efficient in any context, or if you use different fingering variations for the same pattern+mode depending on the chord progression you’re playing

Richie
          Keymaster

If you play it the way you are suggesting in F#, it would no longer be pattern 1 but instead a composite fingering combining Pattern 1 and 2. You will use this in the future for transitioning between fingering models but for now this will create all sorts of confusion for what we are going to deal with throughout this volume. So please play them as taught here. As you learn other fingering patterns and start on the Bebop Calisthenics and etudes, you’ll better understand the “why” behind each fingering, and most important of all, understanding what a “heptatonic fingering model” consists of.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.