Richie's Survey on Ear Training

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Richie's Survey on Ear Training

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Richie
    Keymaster

Hi Everyone!

I would like your feedback on the ear training section of this course. I have noticed in spite of its importance, that most students shy away from formal ear training. Therefore, I am hesitating whether or not to include more ET videos beyond the 3 available in the initial modules. Your feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Richie

Miguel Granada
      Participant

Hi Richie
        I find the ear training exercises very good. I go through them almost everyday. It s just five or ten minutes per day that will bring benefits later. Keep them coming !!

Cheers

Richie
        Keymaster

Thanks Miguel…let’s see how many more respond. 🙂

Jazzy Beatle
          Participant

Please, do not hesitate to include more ET videos. I could use whatever you’re willing to share with us.

Navdeep_Singh
            Participant

Ear training is a daunting subject for me because I never sang in my life. As my teacher said, “sing what you play and play what you sing’.

It’s gotten better, but there are so many confusing elements to it in terms of formal instruction. I’m not talking about this course, but in general. Especially if one is not a singer. What would be a really cool would be a video demonstrating the various different forms of Solfege– movable do vs. fixed do, etc.

At this point, I’m just looking to match pitch with the guitar. I really don’t understand Solfege. Apparently there is a European version, and American version, I don’t know.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Navdeep_Singh.
              Matt Helbing
              Participant

Hi Richie, ear training is actually one of the reasons why I signed up for this course. I think it’s very necessary to at least have some fundamental understanding of this skill. I for one would vote that you continue to provide ear training!

Pawel Strejczek
                Participant

I have formaly trained ears (7 years of classical guitar in music school) but that training was done with isolation from the guitar and it wasn’t important for me at that time to make a connection of my ear to the instrument. I can actually sing a solo which to almost any chord progression quite well but can’t translate it well to the guitar. I’m on the module 2 at the moment (doing the bebop calisthenics) but took a peek on the ear training of module 2 already. Please continue with ear training videos. Actually my biggest problem at the moment (and the reason I joined this course) is not having good enough connection between my ears and the guitar and lack of fingerings and patterns to fill moments when I don’t really have a clear idea what to play.

hats
                  Participant

Hi Richie, I am in Module 1 learning the fingerings, but yesterday I took a preview of the Eartraining-Video of Module 1. And I liked it a lot. I know that I have a big deficit regarding this topic, and the video was a motivation to work on getting better (trying to sing sounded awful, but was also a bit of fun!). So I think I could benefit a lot of the Eertraining Videos. To see the ET-Lesson as part of the material of each module is a great motivation for me to work on it. So I would really appreciate, if you can continue these lessons.
                    Regards, Thomas

Richie
                    Keymaster

I am glad to hear there is interest in the ear training segments. I will continue to upload them!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.