Rhythm template missing?

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Jazz Etudes Rhythm template missing?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Matt Helbing
    Participant

Hi Richie,

I am not sure about this, but I think that module 5 is missing a rhythm template. There is a tab sheet for rhythm template 10 (variation 2), but there is no accompanying template that shows your recommended tones (ie. chord tone, lower approach, enclosure, etc.)

I am planning to use this template to write an etude with my own note choices, but wanted to let you know in case this was left out accidentally.

Thanks!
      Matt

Richie
      Keymaster

Hi Matt,

Yes that is correct. As of module 5 (chapter 5 in the Lesson book) I no longer provide 2 Rhythm Templates with options…just one. The idea is that by now the student should understand how the concept works and should fill out the 2nd variation entirely on his/her own. Really what it all boils down is to never assign an approach note to a rhythmic value larger than an 8th note. Follow this rule and you should be safe for the most part.

Feel free to send me a copy of your etude!

Regards,
        Richie

Matt Helbing
        Participant

That’s right, now I remember. Thank you for reminding me. I will send you my etude when it’s finished. I am trying something different this time and writing the etude with my guitar in hand so that I am practicing the kinds of sounds that I eventually want to come out naturally in my playing.

Richie
          Keymaster

Great! Look forward to hearing it!

Matt Helbing
            Participant

Here is the etude I wrote for module 5 variation 2. I took a slightly different approach this time by playing as I composed and looking for the sounds that I was hearing in my head instead of just sort of slapping chord tones and approaches together and hoping they’d sound good. In doing so, I stepped outside of what we have learned so far in a couple of bars: wider interval leaps between chord tones and some altered extensions. Here is a link to the PDF. I will try to record a video soon.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r58n0mb1atxcke7/module%205%20var%202.pdf?dl=0

Richie
              Keymaster

Hi Matt,

Just took a look at the PDF and most of it looks good. However, I’m not sure what you are thinking because your use of Neighboring Tones (NT) is incorrect. What you are labeling as NT seem to be Unprepared Approaches (UA). A Neighboring Tone is always preceded by a chord tone a step away and must resolve back to that same chord tone. For example: 5-6-5 or 3-2-3, etc.

Would love to hear you play it!

Matt Helbing
                Participant

Oh yes, that was a mistake. I do understand the difference, just a brain hiccup on my part.

Matt Helbing
                  Participant

Hi Richie,

I finally got around to recording this etude this evening. I posted it over in the original etude forum.

Curious to see what you think!

Matt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.