Question

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Brian Roxas
    Participant

Hi Richie,

Im getting pretty comfortble doing the exercises in ear training lab 4 and im noticing improvements in terms of hearing the blues chord changes. To further improve my ear training, what do you advise to do next? I noticed ear training lab is only up to module 4. Thanks in advance.

Richie
      Keymaster

Glad to hear you’ve been doing the ear training exercises as this is the most neglected aspect of this course. You can see that it has the lowest number of posts in the forum. Yet, believe it or not, developing your ear is probably the most important thing a musician can do in order to be able to freely improvise melodies over chord changes. Sorry, but I want to take advantage of your question to stress this point to others who may read this. Many players rely on getting their chops together and learning some theory to know their way around the fretboard. However, when improvising they can’t pre-hear what their note choices are going to sound like until after they’ve played them! So it’s kind of a hit and miss deal. That’s why so many rely on memorized licks. They’re like canned processed food…not organic at all..ha,ha.. Want to be in control of the music you play? Train your ear to hear the changes. Only then will you be the musician and your guitar will become the instrument (in the true sense of the word).

Now to answer your question (finally)..what I suggest is that as new chords are added with each coming module, that you adapt the principles that you’ve learned in the 1st 4 ear training lessons to them. For example, when the IVm7 and IIm7 are added, practice singing the chord tones of the dorian scale (only the b3 will be new, after doing the mixolydian). Then sing the intervals in the context of the entire progression using smooth voice leading at the point of transition to a new chord. Concentrate on hearing cadences (eg. I-IV-I/ II-7-V7-I etc.)

I sent out a survey over a year ago asking if members wanted me to continue with the ear training and from hundreds I literally received only 2 interested responses. I got a few more that said they didn’t have the time or patience for it. So, I discontinued it. Maybe I’ll send out another survey in the near future and see if their is more interest.

Robbie Chan
        Participant

Reviving an old thread but I just wanted to voice my appreciation for the ear training section.

Here’s why I like it and how it is helpful for me.

We’re singing the same thing that we are playing throughout the course. Prior to this course, ear training has always been separate from the things that I play on the guitar.

The way Richie wrote it, it is quite easy to achieve with some work. Lots of ear training material progress too quickly or starts out at too advanced a level.

I’m in module 3. I think I might try to sing some of the devices used – unprepared approaches and enclosures – in the etudes before things get more complicated. If my ear can catch up to the things that I’m playing, I’d be a happy man. But if that pose too much difficulty I’ll stick to the ear training lab and maybe add some slight variations.

Thanks Richie.

R Bruce Bradley
          Participant

I would love to continue with you but can you give some ear training programs that could help (if not enough people here want help)? That’s an area I really struggle——- like Richie said I ham a player who can do Happy Birthday and would love to be able to have a functional game ear!!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.