Preparatory exercises Pag10,12

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Jazz Etudes Preparatory exercises Pag10,12

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Miguel Granada
    Participant

Hi
      I have been working on the preparatory exercises on pages 10 to 12 of the workbook.
      I can do them with the backing tracks at 85 and 120 Bpm.

My question is :

should we memorize them or should we keep on practicing looking at the intevallic charts and seeing the degrees of each arp ?

cheers
      Miguel

Richie
      Keymaster

Hi Miguel,

You don’t need to memorize them.
        Just make sure you can play p10 and 12 (no notation or tab), just by looking at the intervallic script in any key using the prescribed fingering model.

The goal is to immediately recognize the exact location of all the arpeggio notes within the 3 patterns because everything we are going to play is going to lead to one of these notes (especially the 3’s and 7’s). This will constitute the framework of our solos.

Randy

I can give you my perspective having used the books and system for over a year. I begin by learning the preparatory exercises (like on pages 10-12) and eventually the etudes using the intervallic charts. For the etudes, in the beginning I needed to listen to the mp3 versions furnished in the download section in order to learn how to recognize certain rhythm patterns. After some time these became second nature.

After your fingers memorize the exercise or etude and you no longer need to refer to the intervallic chart (motor memory), the next step for me was to analyze my fingering to see where I could bar across frets and generally play with as little left hand motion as possible, anchoring my index finger to the first fret of the particular pattern I am playing in. After that, I focused on my right hand to make sure that I was alternately picking whenever possible.

I was only then that the patterns became ingrained enough that I could immediately tell if I was playing a 3 or b7 or whatever without referring to the intervallic chart. I think after it is memorized the greatest value lies in understanding which arpeggiated tone, or extension you are playing since the ultimate goal is knowing where that note’s relationship is to the scale of the moment.

Hope that was useful.

Miguel Granada
          Participant

Thanks Richie for the answer and Randy for sharing your experience with this system.It was very useful.
            Cheers

guitarplayer007
            Participant

Hi Randy,

You said this :”I needed to listen to the mp3 versions furnished in the download section in order to learn how to recognize certain rhythm patterns. After some time these became second nature.”
              Are you referring to these Etudes? These are just backing tracks? Which Rhythm patterns are you speaking about?
              For Etudes Opus 1- 10, 20
              F Blues -120-3chorus.mp3
              F Blues -85-2chorus.mp3

Thx
              Ken

Miguel Granada
              Participant

Hey Ken , i think Randy is talking about the Studies that will show up on next modules. In this Module we don t have any Study ,just preparatory exercises.

cheers

guitarplayer007
                Participant

Thanks Miguel

Randy

I was referring to the etudes that come after the preparatory excercises. Sorry if that was ambiguous. I wanted to express that building a foundation in fingering and picking on something as simple the beginning exercises pays dividends down the road.

For the etudes, which will be coming soon, I was sharing that I didn’t have the initial ability to always hear the rhythms on my own. For this, I found the mp3s that are included invaluable.

After I have the rhythm and the melody down for each etude I then played them against the appropriate backing track (also an mp3) or using the band in the box (BIAB) file (like playing with a jazz trio — really fun). BIAB lets you pick the accompanying instruments, the key, and the tempo very precisely. In my experience the BIAB was a worthwhile investment.

Hope that clarifies things.

guitarplayer007
                    Participant

thx Randy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.