Practice routine and next steps

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Practice routine and next steps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kurt Acosta
    Participant

Hi Richie,

I just finished module 9 (hooray!) and I can somehow improvise around the Bird blues progression and play Blues for Alice. I’m really happy with the course and I’m continuing my daily practice. My question is how do I go about a practice routine. I have a current one but I’d love to get your comments on how to improve it and possibly know the next steps.

Currently, I start with chord studies which serves as my warm up:
      – Monday – Major ii-V-I – Fret 1 to 4
      – Tuesday – Minor ii-V-I – Fret 1 to 4
      – Wednesday – Major ii-V-I – Fret 5 to 8
      – Thursday – Minor ii-V-I – Fret 5 to 8
      – Friday – Major ii-V-I – Fret 9 to 12
      – Saturday – Minor ii-V-I – Fret 9 to 12

Next, I go for some bebop calisthenics on what mode and patterns I’m currently practicing. In this case, all the new patterns from module 9. This would change if I feel comfortable and maybe I want to revisit an old pattern or learn new ones.
      – Monday – Bebop Calisthenics 1
      – Tuesday – Bebop Calisthenics 2
      – Wednesday – Bebop Calisthenics 3
      – Thursday – Bebop Calisthenics 4
      – Friday – Bebop Calisthenics 5
      – Saturday – Bebop Calisthenics 6

Finally, I try to just enjoy and apply all the things I’ve learned by improvising, exploring lines, or learning tunes.

This is my routine everyday for the past 8 months and has done me very well. Since this is supposed to be a 1-year course, I wanted to spend the rest of the 4 months practicing and learning a few tunes before I dive into vol. 2 but I’m lost at how I should proceed.

Now, I’m trying to go through the 7 patterns horizontally hopefully to map out all my target notes across the fretboard. I’m focusing on mixolydian now and I’m adding that to my routine but I’m not entirely sure if this should be the next step. I’ve memorized all 7 patterns for it but I can’t seem to put it in my playing. I know that vol. 2 would introduce more on multi-positional playing. Should I hold trying to learn all the patterns first and focus on improving improvisation or learning tunes and applying what I’ve learned so far? Also, what’s the criteria for being able to proceed to vol. 2, is it just being able to improvise comfortably with the Bird blues progression?

Thanks again and apologies for the lengthy question. I look forward to reading your reply!

• This topic was modified 3 years, 3 months ago by Kurt Acosta. Reason: Added an extra question
      Richie
      Keymaster

It all sounds good, however it is hard to recommend what you need because I’m not familiar with your playing. Everyone is different and may have weaknesses that they are not aware of. The only way I can honestly advice is by hearing you improvise. That way I can determine what resources you are using or not using, and I can prescribe the proper exercises to improve.

That’s great if you can improvise over Bird Blues! Normally that is the time to proceed to VOL 2. If you like send me a sample of you improvising and I’ll give you my evaluation.

Kurt Acosta
        Participant

Thanks for the response Richie. Sorry it took a day to record. Work got to me yesterday. Here’s a clip of me improvising over it and playing the melody for Blues for Alice. Also, I’m sorry for the audio quality when I’m hitting the low strings. Anyway, excited for your feedback. Thanks in advance!

Richie
          Keymaster

Sounds good Kurt! The only comment which I think I made in the past, and is a small detail, is when you apply vibrato. It’s more of a rock vibrato. Try to make it slower and more relaxed and it will sound jazzier.

I would say that you are ready to move to VOL2.

Keep up the good work!

Kurt Acosta
            Participant

Thanks for the feedback Richie. Yeah, I’ve been trying to consciously remove that vibrato but sometimes the muscle memory just likes to kick in. I’ll make more effort to make them more relaxed.

I’ll spend maybe a month trying to learn the songs on the repertoire studies section then I’ll head to VOL2. Thanks again so much for this amazing course!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.