Improvisation

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Improvisation

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Kurt Acosta
    Participant

Hi Richie.

I just finished Module 7 and I’m about to enter Module 8. I watched the first video and it’s a lot of exciting stuff after spending months learning and playing in one position. As much as this is very exciting, I also know that improvisation and being able to play freely in jazz is my goal, and when I get back to traditional blues, I’m generally happy with the lines I can play. A bit less when playing jazz blues and it goes lesser for jazz blues with altered dominants then minor blues. My practice routine goes for a warmup with scale runs, bebop calisthenics, or previous etudes before proceeding to focus on rhythm templates or improvisation which I alternate every day.

I have been in the course for around 4 months and already and I think my pace is pretty quick given that I’m already in Module 8. My question is do you think I should step back a bit and focus more on at least getting generally happy with improvisation in jazz blues and minor blues before proceeding to Module 8? My current strategy was to just proceed if I understand it until I finish all 9 modules, then I’ll be practicing for the rest of the 12-month period before deciding if I should still spend time on working on using vol. 1 in practice or proceed with vol. 2.

The course has been really great and I love it. Every penny has been worth it.

Cheers,
      Kurt

Richie
      Keymaster

I’m glad you are happy with the course!

As far as your question in terms of moving on to Module 8, it’s very hard to give you an honest answer. That’s because I don’t have any clue what you sound like or how much of the material has been absorbed into your playing. Kind of like asking a blind man, “does my impressionistic painting look convincing, or is there room for improvement?”. Through the Gold level I can only provide information but unfortunately the only way I can truly guide each individual is through interactive “one on one” lessons. Everyone is different and has different needs that can’t be met through the videos alone. When learning something as sophisticated as jazz, I believe we all ultimately need feedback regarding our progress (from somebody qualified).

Having said that, if you want to send me a video or mp3 improvising over one of the blues progressions, I’ll be happy to give it a listen and give you an educated evaluation.:)

Kurt Acosta
        Participant

I tried out Module 8 and I stopped to focus on improving improvisation in the meantime since I thought that if I’m not able to convey my musical ideas in the first position, I might not be able to do so in another position.

Sure. I would definitely appreciate some feedback from you. I’m generally happy in a way that I know what I’m playing and what I want to play as compared to just noodling before I started this course. There are still hiccups here and there and definitely a lot to improve. It took a while to get uploaded but here you go.

When I save a few bucks, I might upgrade to platinum to get those one-on-one lessons!

Richie
          Keymaster

Thanks Kurt for your demo. It is very good and I can hear you have a solid understanding of the fundamentals such as good voice leading as well as the use of different approaches and extensions. I would say work on trying to get the progressions using the super locrian and locrian down to a similar level, and move on!!

Let me know if you have further questions and feel free to post more videos of your progress when you desire.

Kurt Acosta
            Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Richie! Will do once I get these progressions down!

Kurt Acosta
              Participant

Hello Richie! I spent the last month trying to get the progressions down and I feel that I’m getting comfortable with the progression using altered dominants. From time to time, I still get lost but I’ve recorded myself again. I’m still practicing daily with it but I’d love to hear your feedback on what I can do to improve more. Here’s the clip. Thanks in advance!

Richie
                Keymaster

Sounds good Kurt! The only thing I would change is the fast “tense” rock vibrato that you use on some notes. Try to use a subtle slow vibrato instead and you’ll sound jazzier.

Keep up the good work! Look forward to hearing more…

Kurt Acosta
                  Participant

Now that you mentioned it, I started to notice it in my playing. Thanks for pointing it out! I tried to do it subtly but I think I’m not doing it right. Do you have any records you can recommend that I should listen to so I can study and mimic the way they do their vibratos?

Richie
                    Keymaster

Listen to almost any mainstream jazz guitarist…Wes, Joe Pass, Jim Hall, etc. Most of the time you’ll hardly hear any vibrato. This is also true for the more contemporary players.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.