Ideas for naming the double chromatic approach notes?

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics Ideas for naming the double chromatic approach notes?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Nick Ketter
    Participant

I find it very helpful to call out the names of the notes when working through the calisthenics, at least when starting new ones. The combination of seeing the string & fret I’m playing coupled with me verbalizing “1, b3, 5, b7, etc”, helps to solidify my knowledge of the fretboard.

I’m struggling with what to verbalize as I’m playing the double chromatic approaches, esp when we get to faster tempos. “flat 6, 6, flat 7” or “sharp 5, 6, flat 7”, “flat 2, 2, flat 3” or “sharp 1, 2, flat 3” don’t exactly roll off the tongue.

Those are the only names for the notes, so that’s probably the best I can hope for. But I’m curious if you, Richie, or anyone, have any other suggestions?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Nick Ketter.
      Richie
      Keymaster

If you want to verbalize for double chromatic approaches, you can say dou -ble for the 2 chromatic notes. However let me add that the idea of initially verbalizing as you practice, is simply to re-enforce the location of all the target notes within each new fingering pattern. And by the way, during that stage, this should be done at a slow tempo for “programming” purposes.

By the time you get to double chromatic approaches, this hopefully shouldn’t be needed. Just imagine what it would sound like trying to verbalize 4 note enclosures in the last set of Calisthenics!! 🙂

Nick Ketter
        Participant

Ah, this is great, thanks very much. And yes, once I’m at faster tempos, and larger enclosures, verbalizing shouldn’t be necessary.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.