Heptatonic system vs CAGED

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Heptatonic Fingering Patterns Heptatonic system vs CAGED

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jones PEREIRA JR
    Participant

Hi Richie.
      Is it mandatory to learn and use the heptatonic system to enjoy the course?
      I’ve been using the CAGED system (5 positions) for many, many years and I have perfect mastery of scales and arpeggios using 5 positions system… thanks!

Richie
      Keymaster

Hi Jones,

The Heptatonic System is simply the Caged System plus 2 added fingerings conventionally not included. What I find hard to understand is why after mastering the 5 fingerings of the CAGED, anyone would have a problem learning an additional 2 which are only going to open up more possibilities?

Whether or not you can enjoy the course without the additional fingerings, I feel shouldn’t be your main concern. Instead, I think maybe the question should be whether or not you can benefit from it? I surely think so, is my answer! However, I will leave it to others who may read this post to give their unbiased opinion.

Having said all of this, please be aware that many great jazz guitarists who use the CAGED system actually end up using all 7 fingerings. I’ve talked to several and many consider Patterns 2 and 3 as 2 variations of the “G” in the CAGED system, and Patterns 5 and 6 as 2 variations for the “C”. Most just keep calling it CAGED.
        Another factor that you should take into consideration is the fact that the main purpose of the Heptatonic System, unlike the CAGED, is to view the relationship of fingerings to the 7 chords that make up any tonality. You might not understand this too well in the beginning, but if you get through the course, by the time you are playing over more complex progressions, it will make more sense. For instance, for improvisation the Heptatonic will give you many logical options to map out the fretboard and guide you in selecting fingerings that are going to seamlessly get you through any given progression. Yes, this can be done with the 5 fingerings also included in CAGED, but you will find certain gaps that are easily resolved with the additional 2.

I hope I’ve somewhat answered your question. I guess time will tell. 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.