Guide Tones

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Guide Tones

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Paterna
    Participant

Hi Rich,
      Had a quick question (or observation). In Candy Bars 4 with the ii – V examples, I notice that many of the V measures are not starting with a guide tone. In my previous writing of solos, (before introducing the ii chord to jazz blues progression), I am trying to use the target note in most cases.
      Also in etudes 11,12 and 13 it seems that going from ii to V and V to I, the target notes are used.
      If you mentioned something about that, it’s very possible I may have missed it. I am trying to play the etudes and candy bars to get more familiar with the sounds. Any comments on this would be helpful.

Thanks,
      Tom

Richie
      Keymaster

Tom,

In Candy Bars 4 we are using a lot of upper extensions to start the V chord. Upper extensions are secondary guide tones (see Lesson book, p.18 and p.60, especially tip #2).

The other element we are using is approach notes at the point of chord change, which briefly delay the resolution to the new target. This works best at a medium to fast tempo.

3rds and 7ths are the strongest guide tones so I drill that first in the course, but eventually you want to alternate them with the secondary guide tones and hybrids (5’s and roots). NOTE: When not using a 3rd or 7th to start a measure you want to make sure that at least one of them is present in the line to better imply the changes. Otherwise your line may end up sounding a little weak and lack tonal definition.

Let me know if this answers your questions.

Lehman Tidwell
        Participant

Hi Richie
          My question is the notes on the page, page 7 of the workbook the voice leading with guide tones in the Blues the notes with no staff lines ….am I suppose to figure out what those notes are or it doesn’t matter just think about the interval and think about any key I want ? Or should I know where the notes are if there were staff lines ….. I’m confused ….you have a progression there you have the string you want the interval played on …..you don’t explain why no staff lines.
          How do I think about the notes ….what do I do with the notes?
          Thanks Lehman Tidwell

Richie
          Keymaster

This is interval script which can be applied to any key. The top paragraph on p.7 refers you to p.20 in the Lesson Book, for an explanation of interval script. Also make sure you watch the corresponding videos
            including those for the exercises.
            In a nutshell, the purpose of intervallic script is to train you to think in terms of interval patterns over any scale, instead of notes. We don’t have time to think in notes when we improvise…only numerical patterns that represent the sound and their specific location within each of the fingerings. The entire course is built and based on this concept.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.