Feedback – Bebop Calisthenics Vol 1 Module 2 – practice videos and ideas

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics Feedback – Bebop Calisthenics Vol 1 Module 2 – practice videos and ideas

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Cole
    Participant

Hi guys, Greetings from Ireland!

So I’m in my first week of the course for Vol. 1. Any feedback from fellow forum-users and/or the big man himself is much appreciated! 🙂

Video 1 – Calisthenics – saying chord tones

Video 2 – Calisthenics – saying key

Here’s two (unlisted) example videos of my approach to practicing the Bebop Calisthenics. My aim is to try to do all the Calisthenic ideas for Vol 1 Module 2 in the 7 heptatonic patterns around the vertical cycle of fifths. To this end I am combining descending exercises with ascending exercises. The video has me playing Ex 1 (descending) and 4 (ascending) of the Bebop Calisthenics combined – a) talking through the keys, b) talking through the chord tone intervals, while playing the exercises around the cycle of fifths using the 7 different heptatonic patterns. The metronome is at 50bpm on beats 2 and 4 (so essentially at 100bpm). The videos are just an example and I’m currently employing this approach with the exercises in Calisthenics 1a – I’ve done 6 so far.

Through doing this I’m hoping to get a deeper understanding of the 7 patterns and how they connect around the cycle of fifths. Any criticism or feedback wold be great though…. e.g….
      – should I be aiming to play faster (150 bpm etc)?
      – should I do each idea for dorian, ionian, etc (not just mixolydian) or will we be doing this later anyway
      – how is my eighth note swing feel?
      – does anyone else practice this way – if differently how so?
      – any other way I could be improving my approach to these Calisthenics?

I’m just at the start now so I suppose I’m hoping to get the forum and Richie’s wisdom and advice so I can make the best use of my time.

Thanks very much for reading and looking forward to hearing some pointers and tips!

Best,
      Chris

Richie
      Keymaster

Chris,
        You are doing an excellent job! Most students only do patterns 1, 4 and 5 for mixolydian and don’t deal with other modes and fingerings until they are introduced later on in the course. However, glad you were able to tackle all 7 fingerings for the calisthenics as this will help you not only see the big picture regarding the use of arpeggios and approaches throughout the entire fretboard, but will also help you progress faster throughout the course. I’ve always said that first acquiring a solid foundation when learning jazz (or anything for that matter) is of the essence!

I don’t have any criticism regarding the 8th notes. They sound good. Also, don’t worry too much about playing the calisthenics any faster at this point. I rather you finish all of them and move on so you can get creative. Play the etudes and work out the initial rhythm templates. I look forward to hearing you play them!

Christopher Cole
        Participant

Thanks for the feedback, Richie! Looking forward to getting on to the etudes!

Randy

Love your videos.

Your form looks too smooth to be just on the second module!

When I learned this portion of the course I was too inexperienced to use patterns 2, 3, 6 and 7 so I concentrated on the calisthenics with just the blues classic 1, 4, 5 both ascending and descending.

Now that I am more comfortable I practice this with all of the patterns and with ionian, locrian, supralocrian, and dorian. What you are doing so well that I wish I had done is speaking which interval note you are playing. Knowing the specific chord tone you are on is a real fundamental that pays dividends down the road.

Christopher Cole
            Participant

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the great feedback – much appreciated!

It’s been a struggle at times to get myself to say the interval that I’m playing – that extra step is so tough so I’m still struggling with it a bit – it’s a whole new idea to me but it makes perfect sense, though sometimes keeping up with my metronome it’s easy for my brain to get tripped up. I’m just trying to get my mind out of the habit of being lazy and to really focus on what I’m playing – intellectually and aurally.

Thanks for taking the time to post up. Hearing you say that makes me feel a bit more invigorated about the whole process (which from where I’m standing looks like a big mountain to start climbing). It’s days like these, when I’m lacking a bit of motivation, that it’s really great to be able to come on the forum and feels there’s a community of people who have walked the same road.

Looking forward to keeping in touch with you over the next while and to checking out your playing too. Happy shedding!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.