Chord Studies before Module 1

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Chord Studies before Module 1

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rob
    Participant

Hi Richie,

This looks like a good course, and I’m determined to make it to the end.

The chord studies before Module 1 – play 7th chords around the cycle, in all three positions. OK.

But then you say we must know ii/V/I sequences, again around the cycle in three positions, and then extended chords in vi/ii/V/I sequences around the cycle, in three positions. This is a LOT of work before Module 1 begins.

Now, I’m a reasonably advanced guitarist, and can do all this, though I had to stop and think quite a few times, and could have been quicker. But I imagine a lot of players would find that difficult to do, at least to do well. I was thinking I would have to master this before proceeding. But like, I imagine, most students here, I looked ahead, and Module 1 is nowhere near as difficult.

So, I’m a bit confused – do you expect everyone to master these chord sequences before tackling the first module, or is it something we should keep returning to as the months go by?

Cheers,

Rob

guitarplayer007
      Participant

I think you do both at the same time, remember this course is about Linear improvisation, not playing chords or comping.
        just my 2 cents.
        ken

James
        Participant

I look forward to Richie’s reply too, as I had the same questions; that’s a LOT of pre-work, if it really IS pre-work.

guitarplayer007
          Participant

You won’t be using the chord studies that I can see in any of the modules…I’m on Module 4

guitarplayer007
            Participant

FYI I worked on chords while working on Module 1

Richie
              Keymaster

Hi Robert,

I think Ken answered it correctly. This really isn’t a course centered around chords. I don’t really require that anyone master all the chord studies in order to be able to get through the course. Did I say that? If so, I should go back and clarify it.

I am giving you all the chords on the first 4 strings, primarily as a bonus and non linear resource if you need voicings to comp over the progressions we will explore. By the time we get to the final module, you will be using all of them if you want to comp over the etudes. However you can learn them at your own leisure as a side study. I don’t require that you know them in detail in order to get through the modules.

Sorry, if I implied you had to get them down before starting on module 1. I will have to make sure I clear that up…

Richie

Rob
                Participant

Thanks for the replies. I’m not sure, Ritchie, if you said it outright, or just implied it. Or I inferred it. There was definitely something written or on video saying something along the lines of: look at these before starting module 1. I seem to have took that to mean you must learn all this first.
                  As I don’t seem to be the only one who wondered about it, it perhaps needs a little clarification.

Best wishes to all,

Rob

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.