Chord Scale Connection

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Chord Scale Connection

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    mdhakr
    Participant

Hi Richie.
      I just had one of those Eureka moments after watching a Barry Greene Video about Line Connections. This is about playing through respective chord inversions and their associated scales.
      In your course, we spend most (if not all) of our time on lines (linear, scalar, and arpeggiated devices). What I found as a weakness for me was the Chord/scale connection, especially on the 1st 4 strings, being able to easily switch back and forth between a given chord or chord cadence and its respective scale. It’s like losing the site of the forest despite the trees present. I hadn’t been practicing rigorously all the ii/V/I’s in their respective keys and switching back and forth to the scalar pattern of the moment.

So, I know that your Chord Studies are sort of a pre-requisite for this Bebop course. I have gone back and started reviewing this topic. The Major part is fairly straightforward, but the Minor part needs some ear tweaking to hear these changes comfortably. I just realized how critical it was to be fluent in knowing the given inversions for your Major and Minor ii/V/I/vi’s and to keep playing between them and the scalar lines that we are learning as we go. I think we (I certainly did) might get bogged down with the scalar nature of the course on not keep pressing with flowing easily between the chords and lines so to speak.

This is just an observation that I made as the course(s) move on and might be helpful to some of your other followers.

Regards, Jack Boxer.

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by mdhakr.
      • This topic was modified 5 years ago by mdhakr.
      Richie
      Keymaster

Yes, the ultimate goal is to understand and visualize all scale fingerings and the chord voicings they generate. This is something I stress in Module 1 and I also offer a review of all the chord families and their inversions in the 1st 4 strings, before starting the course. Later in Vol 2, for which we use all the fingering patterns, I further demonstrate this relationship. It is something I work on extensively with most of my “one on one” students.

I am currently putting together a chord melody and comping course that will explore this concept in detail, as it is necessary to understand in order to harmonize a melodic line.

Jazzy Beatle
        Participant

Richie, is there a chance for the “Chord Melody And Comping” course to come out this year?

Richie
          Keymaster

At this point, in all honesty, it’s not looking good. Unfortunately, not enough hours in the day. It will happen though…just can’t give a date for now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.