Candy Bar Calisthenics

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Other Candy Bar Calisthenics

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Thomas
    Participant

Hey all!

I’m working on the candy bar licks from module 2 while starting module 3. There’s a LOT to process in module 2’s candy bar licks, so my question is:

Do you (fellow students and/or Richie) advise working on candy bar licks like bebop calisthenics and spend a lot of time on them? Or does that slow down the process too much, so the candy bars shouldn’t be expected to be 100% memorized?

Thanks!

Richie
      Keymaster

The candy bars were uploaded at the request of several students who wanted ready to play examples of lines using the approaches being studied in each module. They are a bonus but not an official part of the course and even though they are good to play over, by no means spend time memorizing them at the expense of not moving on with the course. They are there for the sake of analysis and to spark your imagination as to different ways we can construct lines using the given approach concept.

Memorizing “licks” defeats the purpose of this course which is to learn the language of jazz and eventually be able to improvise by constructing lines in any harmonic context by using the arpeggios in combination with the various approach techniques. However, if from playing them so much you memorize them and they happen to come up in your playing because you hear them in your head, that is fine. For example, I often might spontaneously play fragments of Charlie Parker heads in a solo simply because I hear them in my head after listening and playing them for so many years. So the idea is not to try to force a lick into your solo because there is no time to recall them. Again, it must happen naturally and in the context of what you are playing.

Thomas
        Participant

Got it. I’ll make sure any time I spend on candy bar sections don’t impede my progress with calisthenics, etudes, and the rest of the course.

Thanks for the quick response and excellent course Richie!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.