Calisthenics 8 Vol 2

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Bebop Calisthenics Calisthenics 8 Vol 2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Clarke
    Participant

Hi Richie,

I can’t find any tabs for calisthenics 8? I need tabs or advice to complete these calisthenics 8?

Please advise,

William / New Zealand

Richie
      Keymaster

You shouldn’t need the tabs to do the exercise. That is what the interval script is for. It is also assumed that by now you should be very familiar with Fingering Model 1 which was covered extensively in VOL 1.

Fingering Model 7 features pattern 1 for the II chord, pattern 4 for the V7 and pattern 7 for the Imaj7…It should be easy to adapt from the available interval script as these fingerings overlap with those of pattern 1. In addition, both exercises are demonstrated in detail on the video.

In all honesty I discourage my students to rely on tab. It can become a real crutch, especially for jazz. I’ve only included it in the books because of the large amount of guitarists who can’t read regular notation and as a helper for those who are transitioning from other styles such as rock, to jazz. Having said that, it should only be used when learning new scale fingerings to make sure in the very beginning that you are using the right fingers. After that, if you want to understand and be in control of the music for improvisation purposes, you should be identifying (and hearing in your head) all notes in terms of intervals assigned to specific locations on the fretboard.

William Clarke
        Participant

Thanks Richie,

I appreciate the reply.

I understand fingering model 1 and where all the chord tones are etc. Will give it another go. But please remember that I don’t hold a fraction of your knowledge and chops. Aside from campfire chords, I am fairly new to jazz guitar study having been a “dumb” drummer most of my life (although I did play jazz). Besides its confusing when almost all the other exercises do include accompanying tablature. Believe me, it helps.

William Clarke
          Participant

I gave it another go and figured out where I got confused: In looking at the first example it says Pat2 (Pat 1). I had made the error of using Pat 2 fingering, instead of realizing the 2 meant a II – V – I cadence. And got stuck. But I tried again using fingering 1 (and then 4, 7) and it made sense. But just to let you know, I drew out my own tab because it was just too hard to keep all the fret positions in my brain simultaneously. The tab helped and I recommend that you have one of your advanced students tab it out and add it. I would volunteer to do that in exchange for an online lesson????

Richie
            Keymaster

I’m glad you figured it out!

I honestly don’t want to add tab to this Calisthenics. I believe that someone who is going to be dealing with the intricacies involved at this level of improvisation should already have a good understanding of the fingerings and where all the intervals are situated within each one. The material included in Calisthenics 7 and 8, with the exception of introducing a wide leap at the point of chord change, is made up of concepts which were repeatedly used and reinforced in VOL 1. There is very little that is new here. So this leads me to believe that those who are challenged by not having tab at this point might not have completed VOL 1 correctly. But please don’t take this personally. Since I don’t know your playing, I can’t really judge if this is your case.

As far as my private students go, I make sure that they can get through the exercises and etudes in VOL 1 reading the interval script before starting on VOL 2. This proves to me that they have a solid understanding of the fretboard, as well as the related theory. Of course the bottom line is being able to improvise over all the progressions introduced in VOL 1 before moving on.

William Clarke
              Participant

Thanks for the comments Richie,

Good points: Re: Vol 1. In hindsight, it probably would have been beneficial to take some 1 on 1 lessons with you. I passed all the tests and committed most of the etudes to memory during the time they were being studied so I believe that I got the “gist” of the material. That does not mean I could improvise although I can comp some. Improvising is where your lessons would certainly help. I’ll carry on with Vol 2 with the presumption that the improvising facility will develop with time. And that the opportunity to take lessons from you will remain an option. As it is my goal to improvise in this genre.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.