Alternative Fingering for Chromatic approach

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Technique Alternative Fingering for Chromatic approach

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    shaytrager trager
    Participant

Hey Richie
      I find that a lot more comfortable for me
      Using my first finger in some Chromatic approach
      Which means I leave the position With my first finger for a moment
      Instead of using my fourth finger
      In many cases it seems much more logical
      thinking about it in the end I want my solos to flow
      and to Use the fourth finger only makes it complicated
      for me
      I’d love to hear your thoughts and comments about this
      Thanks in advance
      shay

Richie
      Keymaster

Shay,
        It’s ultimately your call, however I don’t think you’re seeing the long term “big picture” regarding the stretch using the pinky without moving out of position. And that is understandable at this point.

There are many reasons and instances where learning to stretch will benefit you. For example, when you start moving up the fretboard horizontally from one fingering pattern to the next one, there are many instances where you need to maintain the integrity of the patterns designated position when using a chromatic note. Otherwise a flawless transition to the new pattern won’t be possible. Here is an example of a mixolydian phrase in Bb which transitions from pattern 1 to pattern 7(I know we haven’t covered this yet, but I am trying to give you a glimpse of what you may need to do down the road).

chromatic note fingering

In the above example we are using the proper fingering for pattern 1 with the pinky stretching for the chromatic on the 2nd string. Play the entire phrase with this fingering and you’ll see how it enables you to move forward and thus transition to pattern 7 following a logical unified path. Next try playing the fingering with the same chromatic played on the 1st string by moving back 1 fret, out of position. This makes it a lot harder to then move forward seamlessly into pattern 7, especially at a fast tempo!

I can give you dozens of examples like the one above. Of course there are instances where you are not transitioning to a new pattern and you can get away with moving out of position like you suggest. You already know how to do that….why not practice stretching with the pinky, which although not yet a natural move for you, with time and a little getting used to, can become 2nd nature and expand your fingering options?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by Richie.
        shaytrager trager
        Participant

Richie
          Thank you very much for your reply
          I think I will adopt the things you said

shaytrager trager
          Participant

Richie
            This example you gave that supposed to illustrate transitions from pattern 1 to pattern 7.
            If I’m not mistaken, There is a mistake in the tab that Suggesting the fingering.
            the chromatic note at the and of bar 1 Should not lead us to pattern 7 ?
            I mean that instead of playing the B flat at 6 fret we We should move to 11 at the end of the bar and stay at pattern 7 ?

Richie
            Keymaster

No, it is correct. The previous note is an A played on the 10th fret with the pinky. The only way to play Bb on the 11th fret would be to use the pinky again. This would require a “slide”, otherwise it isn’t possible at a fast tempo. This will also force you to alter the fingering in the 2nd measure. You will no longer be able to reach the Gb, 7th fret on the 2nd string. If we want to play it “staccato”, your safest bet is to finger it as shown…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.