2 Solos – Comments/criticism needed please

Home Forums (Vol1 & 2) Rhythm Templates & Original Etudes/Solos 2 Solos – Comments/criticism needed please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Cole
    Participant

Hey guys,

How’s it going!?

So I just finished Vol 1 Module 2 and am planning on spending time this week trying to absorb the candy bars playing them in all positions around cycle of 4ths. I recorded myself at the start of my practice today improvising in the standard Positions 1, 4, 5 over the Blues changes and I just made another recording at the end of my session attempting to improvise across all 7 positions through the Blues (roughly 1 chorus per position). The improv across all 7 positions was trickier than I thought just to keep track of everything and try and keep momentum in the solo while hitting the changes but I think with more time to try this out during the week it’ll get a bit easier.

C Blues Improv – 1 pos

C Blues Improv – 7 pos

I was hoping for some feedback on the solos as this week I plan to focus on learning the candy bars and just getting everything I learned in Module 2 ingrained in my playing so it comes out naturally. Anything you guys could point out would give me direction on what to focus on.

One thing I’m noticing with my phrasing is that I know I tend to see the Blues in 3 x 4 bar chunks and I think my phrasing reflects that – and perhaps becomes a bit repetitive as a result? What do you guys think and do you have any suggestions? Also I’ve realised I never really play 16th note phrases – always 8th or triplets so maybe I should try work on that or is there a segment in a later module that deals with that? Any other tips or criticisms would be great.

Cheers,
      Chris

Richie
      Keymaster

Sounds real good Chris! Your ideas are very musical and its not worth getting into minor details as I know they will iron themselves out as you gather more resources.

As far as 16th notes go, I don’t touch on them until VOL2 because it requires a lot more technique and fretboard knowledge than most players have when starting this course. Many have the technique and speed but not enough understanding of what to do with the notes. You see…when using 16th notes you are squeezing a lot more notes into a measure. If you don’t have a good understanding of different approach note concepts, what happens is that you start playing scales up and down without saying anything coherent. Before playing with 16th notes we need to learn how to create meaningful phrases with 8th notes. Playing 16th notes is just the process of speeding up in double time the phrasing we’ve learned to do with eighth notes… only that then we have to also double their duration in order to fill the same space. It’s a process…

Christopher Cole
        Participant

That’s cool! Thanks Richie – good to know I can focus on this other shtuff now and we’ll get on to the 16th notes down the line 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.